Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome! >

Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM

Default RE: Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

With reload or even factory ammo, it wouldnt do better than 9" 3 shot group @ 15 yards.
Also have a ruger redhawk i think its called, 9 3/4" barrel ,44mag with a cheapy scope. That one is accurate. The vaquero wasnt worth a chit so i sold it. Wont go down that path again.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it's kind of apples and oranges, I took my rough rider out the other day with some differant ammo, and it did amazingly well. Five shots under the size of a quarter at 25 yards and one flyer that was my fault. Not bad for what it costs.

I guess it just goes to show that you can't give up on a gun just because it doesn't shoot well with the first stuff you feed it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to hear the reasons why he thought that the rough rider is better than the "junk" ruger? Do yourself a favor and REALLY look at the quality of each,side by side. I've seen rugers numbering in hundreds if not thousands and have NEVER run accross a ruger as you described. Even so,if it was that bad(which I doubt) it's your fault for not taking advantage of ruger's excellent,usually uneeded,warranty.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 PM

The ruger was a nice pistol until you shot it and it wouldnt group worth a chit. The rough rider is only my second cartridge pistol " I do blackpowder mostly" And the pistol was accurate right out of the box. Very nicely made, The laminated grip was a very nice pleasing touch. I think these only run around $150 some odd dollars. After shipping off the rifle i traded and then paying the FFL holder his fee, I only have $50 invested into this pistol.

I paid $175 for the ruger and ended up selling it for $325 on an auction after i found out how it shot. Hows that quote go again?? Theres a sucker born everyday

Love how the rough rider comes with either a 22mag cylinder or a .22LR. Very cheap to shoot, very accurate and durable.

As for it being my fault with not taking the ruger warranty, i didnt know they had one. I bought it used with no manual or anything. Its no big deal, Its been a couple years since i sold it so, I dont miss it one bit.

I also shoot those made in spain muzzleloaders. Shot my last inline for 4 years without any warranty repair. Try that with american made muzzleloaders
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have experience with ONE handgun of each brand-I have PROFESSIONAL experience with these brands of (along with just about ALL others) handguns numbering in hundreds,who knows more about them? Also,I have both knight and tc muzzleloaders and ruger old army and none have ever caused the first problem over the years along with all the other muzzleloaders of same brand! The spanish and italian muzzleloaders are also good but where did this come in? You can't judge based on limited exposure.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 PM

I never labeled the entire brand of ruger as chit. Just this one. As i said before, I still have a ruger .44 mag, but a good one this time. That other one was pure crap and wouldnt shoot. Ive shot a lot more revolvers, i just prefer not to buy them as i dont get much entertainment from them. They eat up ammo to fast.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bought a rough rider for my dad for his birthday. Its no fancy gun but its a good inexpensive .22. He loves it it shoots well and has accounted for numerous armadillos and cats in the months since he got it. Overall a good plinker but different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM

I can say one thing. They are pretty good for the money but my single six will be there long after. Now if that is all a body can afford great but I stand behind my Rugers.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

A ruger vaquero is a piece of crap????? Sorry but I've had my pair of ruger vaqueros for 3 months now and have shot just over 1000 rounds of 38 special and 357 mag through mine. Mine seem to like the 38 ammo more. Been bustin coke cans with them at 25 yards. I looked at the heritage and I agree that in comparison witht he ruger single sixes that come with the 22lr and 22 mag cylinder for $400 they are a really good deal. I've heard great things about the smaller caliber heritage. How ever, i haven't heard the same for the heritage. Then again, I use my vaqueros for a sport that requires them to shoot many rounds per day at fast rates and your talking about a target gun or hunting gun that is suited for the occasional shoot. All and all I'd still take the ruger and the CVA optima for that matter
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 AM

the ruger i had wasnt any good. Thats long gone so now i have only the heritage .22lr/.22mag which im very happy with. Cant complain about it one bit.

Does $8.99 sound right for a box of 50 winchester super x 22 magnums? It seems high to me but i never bought 22 mags until now.

Quick Reply: Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.