Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Looking to buy a new rifle. >

Looking to buy a new rifle.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Looking to buy a new rifle.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Looking to buy a new rifle.

First post so take it easy on me.

I'm looking to buy a new rifle. I think that I have figured out what I want but wanted to get some opinions of the more experienced hunters/shooters. I'm looking to get a Remington model 700 sps dm30-06 with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x50 scope. I wanted to know what everyone thought of that setup. It will be the second rifle that I have ever bought. I do most of my hunting in VA. Most of my shots are within 100 yards. I currently have a Remington 700 .270 win. I'm looking for something a little stouter because I will be going on a deer/elk hunt in PA next fall. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions/information.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking to buy a new rifle.

I would get a 300 mag... The 270 is plenty for elk in Pa... If you looking for a real Elk round get the 300 Win Mag... JMHO
Old 12-17-2006, 02:44 PM

If I was you I would spend the money on a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mmand a case of .270 Winchester.
Better optics and practice will far outweigh the minor gain in ballistics.
May also consider a barrel and stock upgrade for your remington
My opinion
Old 12-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: InDaWoods

First post so take it easy on me.

I'm looking to buy a new rifle... wanted to get some opinions of the more experienced hunters/shooters... I do most of my hunting in VA... Most of my shots are within 100 yards. I'm looking for something a little stouter because I will be going on a deer/elk hunt in PA next fall.
.270 is stout enough for elk; Get a Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:35 PM

I'm selling my .270 to help out a friend that doesn't have the financial ability to buy a new one. I myself have to stay under or around 800.00. Sorry, I guess that information may have helped in getting some advice.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:39 PM

Get a HOWA 1500 in .338 Win Mag.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:52 PM

That will work.Remington has lots of satisfied customers, though I'm partial to Ruger. The 30-06is...well, you know. I have a Nikon Monarch and it's great. Buy the best quality optics you can afford and then spend lots of quality time at the range getting to know your new hunting partner. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

You'd have a fine setup with the SPS & the Monarch. Naturally, everyone will have an opinion, but those two choices are well-proven.

For caliber, anything from .270 to .30-06 would serve you well. You could go larger if you feel like it, but it doesn't sound necessary for the hunting you're describing.

I'd suggest going to the gun store & holding a Tikka, Savage, and any others in your price range, along with the SPS. Whichever one fits you best, buy it! If you've got your heart set on a caliber/chambering, then go for it. Otherwise, throw a dart.

Good Luck,

FC
Old 12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you're already good to go with the .270, but your choice in the Rem 700 SPS .30-06 is a good one for the money. Just MHO, but I say dump the 3-9x50 and get a 3-9x40. There is really no benefit for the larger objective when it comes to typical deer hunting, and it will have be mounted further above the barrel (and usually cost a little extra). Those large objective scopes were made for guys hunting at night outside of the US, which might as well be poaching as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aught Six hit the nail on the head. Exactly the same thing I was thinking.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a new rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.