Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

My friend, Savage.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:34 PM

Default My friend, Savage.

I received a Savage Model 110 30-06as a gifton my 10thChristmas.
My Dad free floated the barrel(which was not a Savage standard back then) layed a bed of glass and mounted a Weaver 4x for me.This was also about the time I was given the privilage of hunting by myself(provided I stayed close by)I was in heaven.
Several years past in which I gave it the proper Love all firearms deserve butI started missing the heads of various game animals. At first I thought it was just me, everyone has those days but when I went to paper I found the problem was in the barrel..."I had shot it out", so to say.
My Dad said "Buy a new rifle." but I didnt want a new one, I wanted my "Friend"MY Savage.
My Dad, being the type that could fix a car with a cokecan and duct tape and also VERY knowledgable in firearms especially handloading, offered any help he could give.
There was no internet and most publications at the time only mentioned Dakota Arms,etc.when speaking ofcustom rifles ,offered no help, but mail-order catalogs did.
That friend of mine with the Krieger and the same old weaver was stolen from me, truly heartbreaking...but thanks to the Accutrigger I am as happy as ever.

After saying that here is a great article on the exact same process We went through all those years ago.
http://www.jesseshunting.com/articles/guns/category16/7.html

I think this is the perfect way to aquire the best shooter money can buy.
Accuracy is great on a Savage 10/110 with groups averaging 1MOA, but you can achieve 1/2MOA which is a 100% improvement.

Also a good way to own several calibers on one platform.
Great for a younger shooter too. Convert the great shooting .243 to a tack driving .308
Even if you have a Gunsmith do all the work, you still come out on top.
My Opinion