Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Thompson Encore rifle opinions? >

Thompson Encore rifle opinions?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Thompson Encore rifle opinions?

Old 12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Spike

Default Thompson Encore rifle opinions?

I hope this subject hasnt already been covered. is the performance of an encore rifle barrel worth the expense? I currently own a 50 cal and it is dead on. I am thinking about the 7mm mag. Any opinions would be helpful.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:15 PM

Default RE: Thompson Encore rifle opinions?

Well, let's see, you are getting a new caliber for under $250, yesm it's worth it, I do, however, think they make the barrels too long.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you like the rifle and how it handles then go for it. I had a 7 mm Rem. Mag. barrel for my encore. I had terrible groups with 175 gr. bullets and sold the barrel before really giving it a chance experimenting with different bullets. The barrel is 26” long just like other manufactures and being on the Encore makes the overall length shorter because of the action. I only have one barrel at this time but wouldn’t mind getting into black powder...
Old 12-17-2006, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

think they make the barrels too long.
I just wish you would look into it before typing just anything. You put your input on something you know nothing about...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have a .270 barrel on mine and works great. I'm thinking of buying a .270 15" pistol barrel for use when I'm in my blind.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a 30-06 barrel that I hunted with this year. I really like it. I worked up a quick load of 58 grains of 4831 and 165 grain BT. It took 5 shots to sight in. Shot numbers 6-8 went into a 3 inch group at 300 yards(about 6 inches low). I sure can not complain about that. Especially since I have not even had the trigger adjusted yet(A tad heavy, and too much creep). And did not even have a chance for any load development, although the load mentioned has been historically accurate for me, in quite a few different 30-06's. I shot 3 deer with it so far this year. All shoulder shots. All three dropped in their tracks-who would have believed a BT would do that. Longest shot was about 260. Shortest shot was 50 yards.

I just ordered a 6.5 X 284 from Fox Ridge. I am hoping it will account for a whole bunch of ground hogs this summer. Tom.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, let's see, you are getting a new caliber for under $250, yesm it's worth it, I do, however, think they make the barrels too long.
What barrel length do you think they should have. You do realize a 24" barrel on an Encore is a shorter rifle then a 24" barrel on a Rem 700. Do you also realize when you order a barrel from a Fox Ridge or a Bullberry you determine the length. Your reply makes zero sense.

I 2nd what trailer had to say.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like Headoo1, Go through Fox Ridge and get the barrel the exact length and size you want. They are all custme barrels and for about the same price as factory barrels. You can hardly think of a caliber that is not available through them. www.foxridgeoutfitters.com. Click on custom shop.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: trailer

think they make the barrels too long.
I just wish you would look into it before typing just anything. You put your input on something you know nothing about...
ditto
Old 12-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

i love my T/C, so much that i put my Weatherby in the closet.

Quick Reply: Thompson Encore rifle opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.