HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo for .308??
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Tplay103

Default Ammo for .308??

I know there a a LOT of VERY knowledgeable people on this forum and I need your assistance. A little background, I just purchased a new Savage in .308 with the Accutrigger of course. I hunt in North Central Texas-whitetail first and foremost. I will also use this rifle to take out the occassional hog, coyote, or whatever else crosses my path and I do currently have a couple of hogs in the 300-350lb class, but once again-whitetail are my primary target. Most of my shots are probably from 0-200 yards, but in extreme situations could reach out to 300.

Up till now I've always shot a .270, so kind of new to the choices, weights, and so on of .308 ammo. I am also well aware that every gun has it's own favorite ammo and I will soon be working on that. I do NOT reload my own, but am currently looking at the Hornady Interbond, Winchester XP3, Federal Nosler Partition, or even the Black Hills with the Barnes X-Bullet. I'm actually still open to any and all opinions-I'mREAL big on accuracy (got to hit it first) and bullet performance right behind that. I would even consider bulk ammo(for price savings) if someone here couldgive me data showing that it will performjust fine for my situation.

One more for the road, someone told me the XP3 by Winchester is actually an Accubond bullet with a lubalox coating?? Any truth to that??

Thanx again for your time and opinions!