HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Federal Fusion Ammo? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/157333-federal-fusion-ammo.html)

HighDesertWolf 09-28-2006 06:21 PM

RE: Federal Fusion Ammo?

i know its different design but the terminal performance isnt much better then a core lokt.

mayguy 10-13-2006 02:08 PM

I tried the Fusion 180 gr. in my BAR 30-06 and wasn't very happy with the acuracy.

REM7MMAG 10-14-2006 03:33 PM

i just purchsed a box this morin and went 2 the range and shot some in 7mm08 and was suprised i think i found a factory load that the savage 7mm08 likes of mine alos tryed my new box of barnes tsx in my 7mmag and was very happy shot very well

Deleted User 10-14-2006 07:10 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

BrutalAttack 10-14-2006 08:10 PM

Fusions are actually only supposed to be a "deer" bullet or in other words used on thin skin game only. Federal says so themselves in their ad. I mean even with their bonding process you need a partition or something to control expansion especially on large game or to punch through a shoulder blade on an elk. Radical expansion is only good in certain circumstances and at higher velocities I'm afraid these fusion bullets may have a tendency to seperate from the jacket when faced with any resistance other than a vitals shot on deer or other smaller big game.

I, by no means would recommend this bullet for anything other than deer and I'm even suspect of that.

My close friend builds the vats that they use to construct these bullets and I've spoken to the engineers and I understand the advantages of the way they molecularly bond the two. It's an almost flawless process at almost the atomic level.

I prefer a bullet like a Partition or a Barnes X bullet that has no jacket that can seperate and is able to punch through bone if needed because I'm not arrogant enough to think that I'm a perfect shot every single time out to 300 yards.

Carpmaster 10-15-2006 03:02 PM

A buddy of mine had good success with them on black bear out of his 308...

Champlain Islander 10-22-2006 08:20 AM

My buddy tried them for elk this year and they shot well out of his Winchester 30:06. When we were quartering his elk we found the bullet in the chest cavity and it had broken up and separated. I wouldn't use them and he won't again.

BrutalAttack 10-22-2006 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

My buddy tried them for elk this year and they shot well out of his Winchester 30:06. When we were quartering his elk we found the bullet in the chest cavity and it had broken up and separated. I wouldn't use them and he won't again.
Did he hit the shoulder at all? See my field report in the "guns" forum.

Seems there are some mixed reviews.

Champlain Islander 10-22-2006 10:24 AM

He hit it a couple of times and one was in the front shoulder. IMO the bullet didn't do the job.

BrutalAttack 10-22-2006 10:32 AM

Well it just reinforces what I've been saying all along. However, there is some conflicting reports which usually never bodes well.