HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Federal Fusion Ammo? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/157333-federal-fusion-ammo.html)

1/4bore 09-21-2006 09:02 PM

Federal Fusion Ammo?

I've been shooting Remington 180gr. psp core-lokt's in my .300 Win mag and really am not entirely happy with the terminal performance. Anyway, I've been wondering about Federal's "fusion" bullets. Has anyone here ever used them? I just need to find a load for my .300 that won't, you know, detonate when it comes into contact with the guard hairs on an animal's hide. I've looked in the local shops for factory ammo with bonded bullets and it seems like I only have three choices. Remington's swift-scirocco, Winchester's fail safe, and the Federal fusion bullets. Federal was the cheapest. I plan on trying them for myself but would also like some input from anyone who's "in the know". ;)

onebadf250 09-21-2006 09:30 PM

RE: Federal Fusion Ammo?

I tried the 165gr's in my new 300wsm. I couldn't get them to group for nothing. Best group was around 5"s @ 100yds. I switched to winchester ballistic tips(Which I will not hunt with..only thing walmart had) and I started shooting nickle and penny size groups. Everything I've read on them for harvesting game has been great. I wish they shot worth a dang in my gun but they dont.

HighDesertWolf 09-22-2006 01:39 AM

probably the truest bonded core out there since the jacket is actually layers upon layers of electroplated copper. If I ever go back to factory ammo you bet they will be one of my top choices to try.

MichaelT. 09-22-2006 11:45 AM

Don't forget the nossler accubond.

mistahmojoryan 09-23-2006 08:36 PM

My 300WM didn't like Fusion loads at all. (Had a 7mm RM that liked them well enough.)

Check out the Hornady Interbond loads. Not as cheap as Fusions but priced below other bonded bullet offerings. (The 165's shoot like wildfire out of my Sako...just unbelievable.)

Good luck!

BrutalAttack 09-28-2006 02:22 PM

The Barnes X bullet is pretty much accepted as the best terminal performer in terms of controlled expansion and weight retention. There is no jacket or core to seperate from each other.

Trophy Bonded Bearclaw is a close second.

Go to Federal's website and download their ammo database. You can view each load for your cartridge and the bullets that are in each load, plus ballistics etc etc.

HighDesertWolf 09-28-2006 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

The Barnes X bullet is pretty much accepted as the best terminal performer in terms of controlled expansion and weight retention. There is no jacket or core to seperate from each other.

Trophy Bonded Bearclaw is a close second.

Go to Federal's website and download their ammo database. You can view each load for your cartridge and the bullets that are in each load, plus ballistics etc etc.

The trophy bonded bear claw is just a overly hyped up speers version of a remington core lokt.... I know they do shoot real well out of alot of guns but from what ive seen its terminal performance is just slightly better then a core lokt and would hardly rate as a second to a barnes X-bullet. A nosler partition, swift A-frame or a CT failsafe I feel would make a better second to the barnes x.

ShatoDavis 09-28-2006 03:53 PM

What grain of fusionbullet were you shooting. If your gun shot 180 gr. corelokts well I would guess that 180 fusion should shoot just as well.

In my eyes, the Nosler Partition takes a second to no one. You want terminal performance thats where I'd point you. Now to get them in a factory load you will have to shell out some bucks, and buy Federal Premium cartridges. If you ever considered reloading you may want to think about it again you can load your own cartridges with premium bullets for the same money as the factory "cheap" stuff. Not including the initial cost of equipment of course. Plus, you can taylor fit your cartridges to your weapon.

mello_collins 09-28-2006 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

The trophy bonded bear claw is just a overly hyped up speers version of a remington core lokt.... I know they do shoot real well out of alot of guns but from what ive seen its terminal performance is just slightly better then a core lokt and would hardly rate as a second to a barnes X-bullet. A nosler partition, swift A-frame or a CT failsafe I feel would make a better second to the barnes x.

Hugh? Totally different bullet design than core lokt. Tbbc are awesome.

stubblejumper 09-28-2006 05:49 PM

The tbbc that Ibought have a solid copperrear portionand a bonded core in front.That is totally different than a core lokt.