Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Pistol of choice

Old 08-16-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Pistol of choice

Hey guys, I like to bow hunt and waterfowl hunt. Pistols are out of my knowledge base and I just wanted to see what some of you have and like. I'm looking into getting one and ideally I'll get a .40 or .45 and it be something that my wife can shot also.Not sure if I want auto or rev. and I would like to keep it in a decent price range maybe under $500 if possible. So if you have one you like Please let me know what it is. Thanks alot. Any info will help and is appreciated. --Millpond
Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 AM

Default RE: Pistol of choice

I am sure you will get many helpful words of advice here. Let me ask you a few questions to narrow down the vast array of choices, it may also help you identify exactly what you are looking for.

What do you want to use the pistol/revolver for? (defense, hunting, plinking, target shooting. . . .)

What is the most important aspect of your ideal handgun? (price, accuracy, ease of use, recoil, $$$ per round, ballistics. . . )

Best of luck and enjoy!

Old 08-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

A smith @ wesoon .357 mag. You can have her shoot .38 spl's. Taurus makes one as well for under that price. EJ
Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM

I was talking to a sheriffs officer today and we talked abit. Primarily it will be for home protection. I may carry it with me on trips. My wife needs to be comfortable with it. I was looking a the glock 45 cal. What about ruger? They are a couple hundred less than the glock and the HK is the most expensive I've looked at. I think a 45 cal would be good but I'm worried this may be to much for her.Hopefully this is more detailed information for what I'm looking for. But I'm still not sure if I should go with a revolver?? If you could give me some pro's and con's of different pistols you carry/shoot that would be great. Thanks, --millpond
Old 08-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your wife needs to be comfortable with it, I would suggest her firing a .45 and some others at a range first, perhaps a rental or borrow one from a friend. They take a bit of train up time, and some never adapt. You will get lots of advice here, I think I will let it roll in.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 PM

The best thing to do is find a range that will rent various handguns. That way you can both shoot some different styles and calibers to see what works best.

My suggestion for what you want is a .357 revolver, or possibly a .44 mag if you think you will hunt with it.

The .357 can be loaded with .38's, or even 9mm depending on the brand and model you get. So it will will be easier for her to shoot. The 357 is an ok round for deer at closer ranges if your shot placement is good. The 357 is also a very proven defense round with the right ammo.

A 44 mag could be loaded with .44 specials I think, or if you handload either the 357 or 44 could be loaded light to practice with. However the 44 mag is a better hunting round. The down side is it is a bit much for a defense round. They tend to overpenitrate from what I understand.

If you want an auto my favs are 9mm and .40 SW. However your wife is going to have to shoot them to see what she likes and can handle. I wouldn't suggest a glock for a new shooter either. While I think they are a great gun, I feel they are for more experienced shooters with better form, grip and gun handling. Colt makes some very nice small frame autos you could look at.

These are only my opinions and nothing more.

Paul
Old 08-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the 357. You're wife can shoot the 38 special rounds which kick less. The 357 is definetly enough gun for home protection.

Mike
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 AM

One more vote for a good .357 revolver. When I was in the gun business, I dealt with a lot of nongun people or even gun people that wanted a handgun for their nongun spouse. They always wanted a "high capacity 9" or "1911 45". I always tried to encourage then to stick with a good .357. You can load it with mild 38 special or hot 357 magnum ammo. Their simple to load, unload, and shoot. What more could you ask for?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only drawback to a 45 might be grip size. Many 45's have pretty big grips which can make them hard to handle for folks with small hands. The new 45 Glock has smaller grips but Glocks tend to either fit people well or not at all so handle as many as you can.

I too would recommend a Revolver for first time shooter of handguns. The S&W and Taurus 357's are pretty good guns and can use 38 specials until you really need the extra power. For Hunting though I would go with the 44 Mag. Shoot 44 specials until you get used to handling the gun and recoil then move up to the 44 Mag loads.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Under 500 bucks,look no farther than the Sprinfiel XD 40 S&W,smooth shooting little auto,packs enough punch for most assaliants.

I know this might sound a little sexist but most women won't like the recoil of a full 45 auto,for most comfort look at the 9mm,40 S&W.
As for a revolver 38 special or 32 H&R,but I would go .357 maghunting and .38 special for home protection.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Pistol of choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.