Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Pistol of choice

Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pistol of choice

Another vote for the Springfield XD40. I have the Tactical model, and it is one gun that I will not ever part with. The gun shoots amazing groups, and can be had in the 400-500 range with a few extra mags, a plastic case, and even nite sites. The aftermarket for the XD series is awesome as well.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

and yet another vote for the SPringfield XD. However, if you wife is going to shoot this gun, i would make sure she shoots a 45 first to see if recoil will be an issue. A 357? Out of the question IMO. Too much recoil and muzzle flash for most people to enjoy. just make sure it fits both of your hands.

And as far as 9mm goes, its not what i call a "womans caliber". Police have been using it for years and with today's bullet choices, its is certainly a defense gun. That is my caliber of choice due to it's lower recoil. I can shoot it pretty well and make follow up shots with ease. That my friend is the most important thing. My wife also shoots a 9mm and is quite used to it now. I have the springfield XD9 and i suggest you try one some day. You may be sold like i was. Under $425 too.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 PM

I like the versatility of the .357. You can shoot .38’s fairly cheap with low recoil, but always have the option of the .357. My opinion: better to have and not need than to need and not have. With the right revolver you can have an even mix of options; hunting, defense, plinking, correct grip size for smaller hands. . . . You can always get one of the pistols mentioned later if interested but arguably most will agree that if you had one handgun only, the .357 will fill many roles, just my opinion.
*** One advantage of the revolver, MUCH less likely to jam.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

A glock 40cal is hard to beat when it comes to dependability. They will never jam. Try out the mod. 22 and 23. the 23 is just a little more compact than my 22, whuch may fit a woman better. Recoil is nothing to worry about in this pistol.Around 500$. My choice.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

I own an xd 40 and i also will never part with it. I have a good amount of experince with the glock. The glock is a great gun if you don't reload or plan on shooting remanufactured ammo. The glock should not be reloaded for any of the calibers but especially the .40. I have owned revolvers and they have a place but I don't beleive it is in selfdefense. That is my personal opinon, I would not discount the .45 even with your wife shooting it. The .45 has more of a push effect durring recoil rather than a snap the .40 does. I will purchase a xd .45 when fundage permits. My 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: savagescout

I own an xd 40 and i also will never part with it. I have a good amount of experince with the glock. The glock is a great gun if you don't reload or plan on shooting remanufactured ammo. The glock should not be reloaded for any of the calibers but especially the .40. I have owned revolvers and they have a place but I don't beleive it is in selfdefense. That is my personal opinon, I would not discount the .45 even with your wife shooting it. The .45 has more of a push effect durring recoil rather than a snap the .40 does. I will purchase a xd .45 when fundage permits. My 2 cents.
Not being an a-hole. Could you elaborate on that a little more. The "glocks should not be reloaded" part. I'm just curious as I've not heard that yet. Thanks..
Old 09-10-2006, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

This should shed some light on it a bit. http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Also going through the police academy you had the option of shooting your own gun, the range master would not allow reloads in any glocks. He had a glock that had a KB on him once. Sorry I did not make that clear.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:42 AM

my favorite pistol of all time is the legendary Colt single action Army in .45 LC...but, that's kind of an expensive round. For a cheaper round and another great pistol to shoot, Id say get yourself a Smith and Wesson .357, you can shoot .38 specials outta it too. Good luck

-Travis-

Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

hey i know alot of you guys are going to laugh at me for this but if you are looking for something for the uses you described but a hi-point 9mm with a compensator you could buy 3or4 for $500 i have one and wouldnt trade it for the world i have shot around 500 rounds through it and it has never jammed and will shoot 3to4 inch groups at 25 yards what more do you need for plinking or home defense
Old 09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Having been to several defensive shooting schools and having owned 17 diffrent types of hand guns from custom 1911s to smithJ frames, I would suggest a springfield XD in 9mm as a starter auto. They have a good price andare very reliable. Now a good revolver is hard to beat for ease of use, espically for women, but a DA trigger is a little harder to become good with. .40 is a good round but it's only slightly more effective than a 9mm. I have seen the FBI data and data from DrFacklor..45ACP is the best preformingbut at the cost of grip size. If you must have a .45ACP the Springfield XD would again be the best choice. I am a Glock fan but the Glocks are more expensive and the 45 is way to big for most espically for a woman.
The best advise I can give you is getyour pistol and then find a good school to go to. A $100 dollar Hi Point will be more effictive in the hands of a trained shooter than a $2500. custom 1911 is in the hands of a" lets go to the Range every couple of months" novice.Good Luck feel free to PM or E mail me , Jim

Quick Reply: Pistol of choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.