Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

short range caliber

Old 11-18-2006, 08:25 PM

Default RE: short range caliber

8 mm Mauser. Commercial ammo.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The man has a .280 and wants a smaller rifle for 100yd and under shots. You would do well with a .243, .260 or 30-30. A 7mm-08 is too close to his .280 IMHO.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

[align=left]Jag mag I totally agree with you. There is a myth that a large fountal bullet will plow thru brush better then a high velocity round will .Why?The only reason a rifle was termed brush gun was its ease of carrying it thru the brush. ei win mod 94. So back to the subject at hand.You are right that you cant shoot at short range calibur at long range but I have and have seen a .270 win at 10 yards not do its job ( make a wound channel and or mushroom out ) and that was with factory ammo 130 grain sp. So I have watched my 30-30 and my 45/70 at close range kill more effective then a .270 or a 30-06. And I know certain bullets will do better but we are talking about the average here . I will take my 45/70 any day out to 100 yards and then my .270wsm or .300 win mag after that.[/align]
Dan, I agree with you on some of the faster calibers not doing their jobs at shorter ranges! For that very reason I am probably going to retire my 7MM RM as my "deer gun"! I've made 3 "perfect" hits under 100yds. that did not expand on deer, leaving NO blood trails!
That said, I saw my next "deer" gun today, a small, single shot .243! I rarely use any follow-up shots, the gun is short and light, good for deer stands, or stalking, and the .243 WILL reach out far beyond 100 yards if needed!
Years ago I had a 6MM Rem. that I foolishly parted with! With good 100 grain bullets, it always dropped them, or gave me a good blood trail, and short easy tracking jobs!
For a caliber that that WORKS for deer sized animals, AND gives you extra range, the .243/6MM makes a perfect minimum deer caliber!
Lastly for some of the others, I am not trying to start a debate, but ALL calibers deflect on brush! Some of the larger calibers deflect more than the smaller ones! I guess you can use a .50 BMG and "punch through" all but the thickest stuff! Sorry, but the best shot through brush, is NO shot!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

[align=left]Jag mag I totally agree with you. There is a myth that a large fountal bullet will plow thru brush better then a high velocity round will .Why?The only reason a rifle was termed brush gun was its ease of carrying it thru the brush. ei win mod 94. So back to the subject at hand.You are right that you cant shoot at short range calibur at long range but I have and have seen a .270 win at 10 yards not do its job ( make a wound channel and or mushroom out ) and that was with factory ammo 130 grain sp. So I have watched my 30-30 and my 45/70 at close range kill more effective then a .270 or a 30-06. And I know certain bullets will do better but we are talking about the average here . I will take my 45/70 any day out to 100 yards and then my .270wsm or .300 win mag after that.[/align]
Dan, I agree with you on some of the faster calibers not doing their jobs at shorter ranges! For that very reason I am probably going to retire my 7MM RM as my "deer gun"! I've made 3 "perfect" hits under 100yds. that did not expand on deer, leaving NO blood trails!
That said, I saw my next "deer" gun today, a small, single shot .243! I rarely use any follow-up shots, the gun is short and light, good for deer stands, or stalking, and the .243 WILL reach out far beyond 100 yards if needed!
Years ago I had a 6MM Rem. that I foolishly parted with! With good 100 grain bullets, it always dropped them, or gave me a good blood trail, and short easy tracking jobs!
For a caliber that that WORKS for deer sized animals, AND gives you extra range, the .243/6MM makes a perfect minimum deer caliber!
Lastly for some of the others, I am not trying to start a debate, but ALL calibers deflect on brush! Some of the larger calibers deflect more than the smaller ones! I guess you can use a .50 BMG and "punch through" all but the thickest stuff! Sorry, but the best shot through brush, is NO shot!
The 50 BMG is about the most usless caliber ever invented, unless your sniping people from 2 miles over in Iraq. The guns are too heavy and they have that annoying muzzle break.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

If recoil is an issue. 30-30 is a great round under 100 yards. I also saw someone mention the leverevolution ammo for expanding the 30-30 range. I have heard good things about this ammo. Not only is the 30-30 a good gun, but lever actions look so damn good

I personally prefer the .308. I love the short action and my old Remington Mohawk 600 has an 18 1/4 inch barrel(i think) which makes not only a great brush gun, but has great knock down power as well and ifI have to reach out, it has the range to do it.I dropped a nice 7 point, where he stood, 2 nights agowith it and it's the only rifle i deer hunt with when we go to the big woods in the U.P. of michigan. Although I'm not sure who makes those short 308s anymore. I'm sure they are out there.