Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Hornady Leverolution Ammo >

Hornady Leverolution Ammo

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hornady Leverolution Ammo

Old 11-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hornady Leverolution Ammo

Anyone seen the new Ballistic Tip ammo for lever action guns that Hornady is coming out with? I just discovered them yesterday on Hornady.com. They developed a new type of tip call a flex tip that bends when pressed against the rear of another shell in a tubular magazine. Which eliminates the danger of a pointed bullet detonating the primer of the shell in front of it. Now people who shoot lever guns can shoot something besides round nose and flat nose bullets.

They will be availabe very soon for the 30-30 win. and .35 rem, and a version for the .444 marlin, 45/70 government and .450 marlin magnum next year.

They say they are completely safe to use in all lever action gun magazines and out perform all other rounds for these guns. They claim that they are faster, flatter shooting, have more downrange energy, and more accurate than any other ammo out for these chamberings.

The only downside i can think of is it may take away from one of the things that made these guns so popular. Because of the type of bullet used in these guns has always been a round or flat nose bullet they have always been pretty good at going through heavier cover, and not deflecting as much. With a pointed tip bullet they will be just like any other rifle and kind of loose some of their brush busting reputation. I cant wait to get some and try in my old Win. Model 94.

Any of you out there that shoot the old lever guns should give them a look at www.hornady.com

Dave
Old 11-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Default RE: Hornady Leverolution Ammo

Sounds like a promising idea. No help to me as my lever action is a Ruger 96/44 mag. If bullet performance is good this might be a winner.

Best Wishes
Old 11-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would love to see something like that for my 444 Marlin. Excelent idea and I hope the terminal performance is typical Hornady.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would be an interesting round for the .450. Right now I shoot factory bullets and they are extremely accurate. I've been planning on reloading for it, but the factory bullets shoot so good that I've never bothered to reload for it.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:26 AM

Graf and Sons showed the .30/30 and .35 Remington ammunition as "in stock" in their last flyer, with the other calibers expected in early next year. Of course, the website shows both as "out of stock" right now. Price isn't too bad, $16.99 for the .30/30, and $18.99 for the .35.

I'm not sure if this idea will have legs or not. Good concept, but not sure the average buyer will pay a premium for it. I'd like to see the bullets offered as components, too.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:21 AM

Shooting Times has a good review of them in the newest issue. You might want to pick it up if you want some more info on them.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BeltedMag

Anyone seen the new Ballistic Tip ammo for lever action guns that Hornady is coming out with? I just discovered them yesterday on Hornady.com.They claim that they are faster, flatter shooting, have more downrange energy, and more accurate than any other ammo out for these chamberings.Any of you out there that shoot the old lever guns should give them a look at www.hornady.com

Dave
I just seen that the other day myself!! Looks very exciting if your a leverman. That's one thing about Hornady, they are leaders in this industry.