Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

bought the savage 110

Old 11-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bought the savage 110

ORIGINAL: UThunter

To get real technical, you measure outside to outside and subtract one caliber (in the case of the 30-06, you woulod subtract .308 inches) but it's basically the same thing.
Personally I find it easier to measure outside to outside on the same side. You don’t have to subtract anything.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trailer

To get real technical, you measure outside to outside and subtract one caliber (in the case of the 30-06, you woulod subtract .308 inches) but it's basically the same thing.
Personally I find it easier to measure outside to outside on the same side. You don’t have to subtract anything.
Of course if all of your bullets are making one hole as in the case of 1/4" groups using .308" bullets you have no choice but to measure outside to outside and then subtract the bullet diameter.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 AM

I have 2 Savage model 110's. One is 243, the other in .308

The 243 will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards off of sandbags. I always measure from center to center of the two hole that are the farthest apart.

Congrats to you sffguitar! I wish you the best of luck with your new rifle. I have taken 5 deer with my .243.

Kev
Old 11-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

ORIGINAL: trailer

Of course if all of your bullets are making one hole as in the case of 1/4" groups using .308" bullets you have no choice but to measure outside to outside and then subtract the bullet diameter.
My goodness gracious, I completely forgot about that. OOPS !! Silly me....
Old 11-11-2005, 01:22 AM

Seriously speaking, I have never seen a 1/4" group from any rifle at any distance. I couldn't shoot a 1/4" group at 50 yards for money. I have shot two bullets almost through the same hole at 100 yards one time in my entire life, and then the third shot was about an inch and a half from the first two. I am no marksman, but I do know that I have killed many big game animals. I guess that 1/4" groups seems just about impossible to me. I would take anyone out to a steak dinner if they could shoot a 100 yard 1/4" group in front of me. Heck, I would even let them shoot two warm up groups first. I would even go so far as to let them shoot indoors in a temperature controlled environment at whatever altitude they prefer. I doubt that I will ever see 1/4" groups.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:38 PM

Check the most recent Petersons hunting. Some custom gun in .20 Tactical (.223 necked down) was shooting .16 inch groups. There's pictures too. But then again this was indoors, temp controlled, with high tech equipment everywhere.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 AM

Tom from the shade,

If you want to see it, go to a benchrest competition sometime. If those guys don't shoot a 1/4" group the first round, they get laughed out of the place.

Kev

PS- If you go, take plenty of $$$$, I'm afraid you'd be buying a lot of steak dinners.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've said this before - I have a Savage 12vss 22-250 with a 8-32x Swift scope and a "stock" sharpshooter trigger set at about 14oz.

At 100 yds, on bags, I can endlessly mickey-mouse holes with factory Rem. Core Lokt ammo. I guarantee you that I have shot a 3-shot group that would be less than 1/4" (one big hole). Now the average is more like 3/8" (a big mickey-mouse, or holes just barely not touching).

Hands down, the most accurate rifle I've ever seen or fired.

This guy isn't exaggerating a bit, those Savage guns are hella-accurate. Mine's ugly as sin and heavy as a tank, but none of my buddies, even with their $1500 custom Rem's will even go to the range with me anymore.

You can call b.s. all you like, but I'll have to agree with sffguitar on this one. I own Rem, Browning, Ruger, Win, WBY and one Savage. As far as fit, feeland finish go, some of the others are much nicer. Most of the triggers on them are junk, they come from the factory set at about 8 pounds, and even after they get back from the gunsmith, they stillcreep and grind, but they do the job fine.

The Savagesaren't the prettiest things, but boy do they shoot. Their new Accu-trigger is the best factory trigger on the market - super crisp, with no risk of slam-fire at exceedingly light pull-weights. If you guys are into guns, and you're looking for a new toy, pick up a cheapo Savage with that Accu-trigger, and go play. You'll see what we mean.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:25 PM

Quiksilver,

Thanks for speaking out. I believe you with your Savage. I have two of them.

My most accurate rifle is my Bushmaster V-match, .223 Rem.,with a varmint barrel. With my pet handloads shooting a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic- tip, I can put 3 shots off of sandbags at 100 yds, into a hole small enough to cover with a dime. I can do this 4 out of 5 groups. I never use to believe in groups that small until I shot them myself. (That's when I thought you had to have a Remington because I thought name was everything.) Now I know better.

Considering my Bushmaster, it's a thousand dollar rifle, so it SHOULD shoot these groups.[&:]

Happy shooting, Kev
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM

well...im pretty much a dumbass for saying quarter inch groups. Im an EXTREME amauture. I hate to admit it but i thought you measured from center. Im very sorry for this idiotic post. i belive some when they say they can shoot quarter inch groups.....but deff not me. really i was shooting 3/4 inch groups. Sorry everyone....i felt really dumb for a long time and never replied back.

Sorry for my HUGE mistake- sffguitar

Quick Reply: bought the savage 110

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.