Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Zeiss or Leupold

Old 09-29-2005, 08:57 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Zeiss or Leupold

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Matt, check the poll on the guns forum. That about says it all. Leupold.

Sniper, he is comparing quality not popularity.
Hey guys, easy on Sniper, he has a right to an opinion just like you. Maybe he doesn't agree with the popularity theory you have Rebel. Maybe I don't.

As for me, I like both. I have both. Don't have a problem with either. I have had probably a dozen Leupolds and have had one with fog issues that they had to fix.

As far as optics qualities, neck and neck. You could line up 10 ziess's and 10 leupolds and pick the worst and best of them all. And it would be one and half dozen of one and 18 of the other.

What Ziess does have over the Leupolds VX line is a solid one piece tube. I wrote John Barshness on this and he tried to tellme, that that doesn't matter. But any machinist might say different. I know at my company alone we are in Cost Reducing mode and have been for some time. And some corners can be cut, but you won't really know until the system hits the field in large quanities. John tried to tell me Leupold wouldn't let it out the door if it didn't match the Vari-X III line.

But the bottom line is he doesnn't know. He hasn't performed any stress tests or EOL (end of life) tests. He's going on word of mouth. And truthfully, I don't either.

I have a few VX's and have to admit thier optical qualities are excellent. Better than Vari Xs. Thier index matching coating is very good.

But so is Ziess's. But when someone tries to tell me,now that they got a Ziess on thier gun, they can hunt 1/2 later than everyone else with Leupolds,I knowjust towalk away.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

The lead-free arsenic-free glass allows for non-distorted light, which is allegedly more perceptible and usable by the human eye. Carl Zeiss started making lenses in 1846. All the bombing lenses on the German bombers were the best in the world and still are.
Bc, my consideration on zeiss is based on what I see and what eye doctors tell me. I have one in the family and all his comrades in the buisness have Zeiss equipment also. I would'nt go to a gun store and ask the guy behind the counter what he taught on this subject.
I can care less what the other guy wants to buy, to each his own. I'm not going to buy something justbecause it's popular. I understand, a man has to buy what he can afford.

Sniper, if I offened you in anyway, I apologize!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:21 AM
bigcountry

Well, he asked for opinions what is better.

As an optics engineer, I know optometrist don't know quality of lenses over anyone else. They are experts on what we call classical optics and theory which is the same for your lenses. They are experts on physical anotomys.Butas I have many discussions about optics with my eye doctor too,he asks several questions, and admits he has only messed with the equipment we use whenin physicsin undergraduate school. Don't get me wrong, they worked hard to get where they are. But unless you are in the R&D of the medical field and service the equipment that cuts the lenses from the sphere, you never touch it, you never qualify it or test it. But I agree with your doctor, as we do alot of business with all the Euopean optics suppliers. They are top notch. Nobodies saying they ain't. But the sad truth is, that the Asians have caught up with them. And as my company finds out, its almost half the cost in some quotes.

What you are talking about is what we call Back Reflection, dispersion and Loss (dB).

Now, on this page, popularity is the same as opinions or a poll. Unless people on here work for Ziess or Leupold in thier R&D, what they post is just that opinions. So his basis, for posting that about Leupold, has about the same wieght as anyone posting thier opinons, including myself, as anyone else.

Hey man I love em both, just thought you gave him a tough time.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

As an optics engineer, I know optometrist don't know quality of lenses over anyone else. They are experts on what we call classical optics and theory which is the same for your lenses. They are experts on physical anotomys.
Bro. it's no big deal. I was'nt talking about optometrist. I was talking about
eye surgeons.If they prefer Zeiss lenses tooperate on eyes, that's the lenses I
want on my scopes.

I apologized to Sniper!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:39 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

As an optics engineer, I know optometrist don't know quality of lenses over anyone else. They are experts on what we call classical optics and theory which is the same for your lenses. They are experts on physical anotomys.
Bro. it's no big deal. I was'nt talking about optometrist. I was talking about
eye surgeons.If they prefer Zeiss lenses tooperate on eyes, that's the lenses I
want on my scopes.

I apologized to Sniper!
My bad, I thought you were talking about optometrist. I prefer Leica microscopes myself when soldering and working on PC boards. But to each his own. All beutiful pieces of glass.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
bigcountry

Guys, sorry if I sound like a arrogant butt about optics. But optics is pretty well half of what I do. Other half is electronics and software. Its really about the only thing I can contribute to alot of these forums besides personal opinions.

So unless I become a gunsmith, optics is all I can give. And even this, not much cause the quality of the scope has so little to do with the lenses, (at least for me), reliablity and the construction of the scope is what I would consider the domiant factor, which I am not a mechanical engineer and don't know beans about.

Hey I enjoy em.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Never used Leica and never considered it, but will do
some reseach on it. Thanks! You know I just looked
at my Sony Camera and it has aZeiss Lense. Made me
wonder why the Japs would use a German Zeiss on a
$1200 camera.

BC, you know we are talking big bucks here and most
of these guys are hard working family men who cannot
go for the best rifle's or scopes. No offence guys, BC and
I are just comparing thoughts!
Old 09-29-2005, 11:18 AM

I don't own either but have looked thru both. When I was looking for a scope for my 17hmr I looked at several brands of scopes around the 400 dollar mark. I personally liked the ziess better than the leupold. I thought the optics were clearer and the construction was better over all. The Zeiss scopes just felt better, more like camera optics. The leupold I looked at was stiff and gritty when you made adjustments to it.

I actually ended up getting an alaskan guide model from cabelas because it offered more features that I wanted for the price (higher power, A/O, and mildot).

But like I said, I am only going by what I saw in the store comparing them side by side.

And by the way, I have Carl Ziess lens coatings on my driving glasses. Walmart has a contract with them and offers it exclusively from what I understand. They seem a bit crisper than my reading glasses that are the plain poly lenses. Almost like I'm not wearing glasses. However glasses have improved greatly in the past 10 years or so any way from what I have seen. I don't know if it really helps or not, but it sounds cool.

Paul
Old 09-29-2005, 01:34 PM
bigcountry

You know something I like looking thru anymore more than riflescopes is binocs.

I have never held one, but would like to look at those schmidt and bender. Too much for my blood.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Zeiss or Leupold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.