Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Zeiss or Leupold

Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zeiss or Leupold

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

The leupold I looked at was stiff.... when you made adjustments to it.

Paul
This is my #1 issue with my Leupold VX-II 2-7x33....
Old 09-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problem Reb, that's what this forum is all about. I guess I'm just partial to Leupold because they have worked flawlessly for me. The ability to rely on a product in adverse conditions has made me a believer. I do like the new Unertl though.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

I have two leupolds and my next scope will be a zeiss if I can afford it
Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both are good scopes but the ziess does offer better lenses and coatings which results in a brighter scope in low light conditions.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to buy a VX-III until I went to the store and looked through it and then a Conquest 4.5-14x44. That's what sold it for me and I bought the Zeiss. So when I was looking at binos I went with the Zeiss too. More expensive than I wanted to spend but considering how much time and money I put into hunting it's worth it to not have to pass on an animal because you just couldn't ID it. Here you have to have 3 points on 1 side to shoot a buck and Elk are spike-only. There is a lot riding on proper ID of your target and without good "eyes" you'll end up letting a legal one go, or worse, shooting an illegal animal.

I had to let a spike elk go one year to later be shot by my brother-in-law. That was due to the Nikon scope and my cheap Bushnell binos. After than I saved all summer and bought the scope and last year bought the binos. It's been worth it for me.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use leupold VARIX II and VARIX III on my rifles now but my next one will be a Zeiss conquest 3x9x40.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:32 PM
bigcountry

Power, sounds to me like you need resolution. For resolution, you should have looked at a 50mm scope.

You can have the best glass in the world with 100% index matching coatings, but if they are 20mm, even a cheap scope with huge objective would have better resolution.

I myself would never rely on my gun scope to ID animals. Just think its unsafe. Been scoped too many times. Didn't like it. I say id with a great set of binocs and then use your gun and scope to shoot the animal.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I myself would never rely on my gun scope to ID animals. Just think its unsafe. Been scoped too many times. Didn't like it. I say id with a great set of binocs and then use your gun and scope to shoot the animal.
I myself like to do a final ID through my scope to make sure the animal I'm shooting and have ID'd with my binos is the right one. Can't be sure how you shoot without doing a final ID of the animal through your scope.

Now if you were assuming I don't use binos and use my scope on my rifle to look around at everything you'd be wrong in your assumption.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be fail my situation was in referrence to a herd of elk, trying to pick out a spike among all the cows. Sure, you can ID the animal with your binos but when you pull up your rifle you need to find that spike again and be DANG SURE before you pull that trigger.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
bigcountry

You stated

"More expensive than I wanted to spend but considering how much time and money I put into hunting it's worth it to not have to pass on an animal because you just couldn't ID it. "

I was explaining it would be more econimical and be much more logical just to get a nice set of binocs, ID your animal, and shoot it with any scope you want. You don't have to see what color itseyes are to hit in the vitals,at least i don't. You were stating a need a for the percieved extra resolution for a rifle scope to reID an animal after you already "ID'd" the animal in the first place. Just giving a suggestion, might be better to actually id with good set of binocs or spotting scope. I understand the want for clear nice optics, I love em, just didn't understand your statement you need to pass on an animal.

Quick Reply: Zeiss or Leupold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.