Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington

Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington

I'm with jimmy.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

gorse ;The reason I think they have gone downhill includes the fact that more and more of their manufacturing is done over in Asia . Overseas manufacturing is not bad , unless its bad , and remington's IMO is bad . Tika on the otherhand is made overseas and is smooth as butter, accurate , excelent finnish , and all around better quality , cost about the same or less allso

My Oppinion
Old 09-28-2005, 02:38 PM

Jimmy,
You are, of course, completely entitled to your opinion. Also, I do not want to give the impression that I am discounting or treating your experiences (or those of your friend) as unimportant, or unworthy of consideration. I do NOT intend that at all. I have simply heard this sort of criticism again and again....and my experiences are quite the opposite. So, what does that prove ? Nothing at all, certainly. However, I must go on what experience I have...and this differs from yours. So be it. I certainly don't blame you for liking Tikkas.... I think that they are fine rifles, too (and a bargain, since they are built by Sako - and largely of the same parts). I have a very high regard for Tikkas, perhaps a bit better than Remingtons. I simply didn't want the impression to be passed on that Remingtons are somehow junk - because I do not believe this to be true (based on my years of experience with them).

There are certainly lots of good rifles available besides Remingtons, we should all use what we happen to particularly like. At this point, as it happens, I have a jones for old milsurp Mauser-type rifles. I currently mostly shoot a 50-plus year old Yugoslav M48 "Mauser"....which I have installed and bedded in a 70-plus year old converted Yugo military stock. I love the blasted thing, though it isn't worth $50 to anyone, but me. I have spent a good bit of time re-bluing, polishing and working over the action, to smooth it's operation and ensure reliable feeding with all bullet types. This old wreck is nearly "bulletproof"...and shoots very well. It may be old, but it's reliable (and can hang in with lots of the 'younger" or newer guns). Perhaps that's why I like it so much.....it's a bit like me, in that sense.

The "bottom line" is : we all have valid experiences and opinions to share. Sometimes, information is presented that is not always concurrent with the experiences of all. So, we can disagree....no harm in that.

By the way, I was unaware that Remington was building any of it's Model 700 components abroad. My understanding is that the parts are all made in the US. I don't see that it matters, as long as the specifications are the same...but, it does to some...and that's fine. I certainly could be incorrect on this, it wouldn't be the first time. I have a friend that used to work for Remington (recently retired). I'll give him a call.... I'm curious now.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:49 PM

My .02 and you should probably get some change back.

I have had a Remington 600 .308 for about 10 years,a Marlin 30-30 for about 20 and a Winchester M70 30-06 about 4 weeks. I just purchased an SPS stainless (SS?) in 300 win mag, 26" barrel. Only had the chance to shoot it once for 7 rounds- breaking it in slowly, just put a Burris Fullfield II on it. Out of the box it is amazing, last 2 shots within an inch and I would credit the others to operator error/adjustments. This kicks less than the 30-06, is smooth, accurate and weighs less than any other of my guns. I am very impressed. I happened to go by Gander Mtn when they had a sale going on in July and picked it up, without the scope, for $316+ tax. Probably the best buy I will ever do. I am waiting to use it this fall. Great gun. Like I said, only my opinion.

I think I owe you about a penny.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:25 PM

I've never had any problems with any Remington's I've shot. If quailty is so bad ijimmy why is it that more sniper weapons in use for both military and law enforcement are based on the 700 platform? Not trying to start anything just something to think about.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Just got the sps,black/black in 22/250 last month.When I first got it something was wrong it didn't want to accept the shell,took it back to the dealer he sent it back on Tues. and I got it back delivered to my door the following Thursday.
After finding a load it likes have shot several one hole groups @100 and several groups less than 2 inches @300.
So I would have to say their service was very good and the rifle is pretty accurate.
Have a safe full of remingtons and all does what they are susposed to,with out any problems.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somebody please tell me what part of my 700's are made in Aisa...I really really really wanna know. I need to shake some orientals hand for the fact thatall 5 of minewill all shoot an inch or less at 100 with factory when I can do my part.[:-]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never said anything about a particular model , 700's I believe are assembled in the U S . Maybe their parts are made here allso .

The centerfire my shooting buddy had major problems with was a 710 , And I believe it said made in china on the box , could be wrong , it would not be the first time .

He allso had problems with an auto 22 purchased the same day .

You guys who have older remingtons , own some great guns . My point was that with all the quality guns being made today , you can do better than remington , whos quality IMO has gone down in recent years .
Old 09-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: herman
Have a safe full of remingtons and all does what they are susposed to,with out any problems.
Ditto! I can't comment on the newer or latest manufacturedRemingtons because the newest one i have was made in 1990. However, i will say that i've owned quite a few Remingtons and still do both rifle and shotgun and i have never had any problems at all with their firearms. God Bless! Mike
Old 09-29-2005, 08:45 AM

I too have a safe full of Remingtons dating from the 70's up to my last one I bought last year. I always look to Remington first when buying a new firearm. And all those fine folks at Rem are really going to be disappointed when they find out they're out of work. One other thing jimmi, as far as your friends 710, I wouldn't base my opinion of Generals Motors based on the fact my Geo Metro didn't perform like a Corvette. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.