HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Remington (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/113862-remington.html)

dh4stretch3 09-22-2005 05:35 PM

Remington

Share some of your opinions on the Remington 700 SPS. Good, accurate, reliable rifle?

Highpower 09-23-2005 07:11 AM

RE: Remington

As much as I'm a Remington fan, the SPS isn't my cup of tea....yet. I looked at them at the Shot Show and they just didn't 'WOW' me. Sports Afield just did a write up on different products and they author sang the praises of the SPS. Claiming if you hunt in 'harsh' environment, it's the latest and greatest. I would be confident that they will be accurate and reliable, after all, the stock is the biggest change.

Matthew V. (An outdoorsman) 09-23-2005 05:03 PM

I think if I got a Remington it would be the 700 XCR. It has the Trinyte coating on the barrels.

reddog132 09-25-2005 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Matthew V. (An outdoorsman)

I think if I got a Remington it would be the 700 XCR. It has the Trinyte coating on the barrels.
I just purchased one in .270. It should be here in a few days. I'll post pics as soon as I can. :D

ijimmy 09-27-2005 10:57 AM

Id pick another manufacturer

reddog132 09-27-2005 12:09 PM

Can you explain why ijimmy?

flcracker 09-27-2005 02:07 PM

dh....I just bought one in 300 win mag. Mine has the floorplate and not the detach magazine. I wanted a excuse to replace my old 700 adl but i wouldnt buy a new remington with those stupid bolt locks on them. I saw this one used and spoke to the gun store guy ( a friend ) and he said the guy who bought it was more picky than i and bought it...had it a month...traded it. Anyhow, i got it for $380. Not bad i thought for a new 300 mag. I love it, it's got the 26" barrel, hinged floorplate, i like the new stock even if it is homely. And the finish is pleasing for what i want to do with it. I'd say a big step up from my old 700 - even though it only has a few more features to it. The best thing is it shoots like a house on fire. three shots at 100 from over bags is averaging an inch...the best i did was three into 1/2 " at 100 then tried to put more in there and blew the group. I wanted to see what i could do if i shot from a better rest and clamped it into my sight vise.....which i've come to find out wasnt much better than the bags but anyways i shot a 3 shot group AND ALL 3 WERE TOUCHING. my old 700 never shot that good.....and this was with winchester power points i was burning off for the brass. I love it...get one....one more thing they come with the r3 recoil pad....which is really just a limbsaver pad.....but i swear to you the damn thing shoots like a 243.....you can go through a box of 300 mag and it doesnt bother you a bit.....my wife 5'6 120lbs can even shoot the thing.

flcracker 09-27-2005 02:10 PM

oh yeah.....and it doesnt have the stupid lock either.....i dont think any of them do. Has anyone figured out why they're putting them on some rifle and not the others?

ijimmy 09-28-2005 08:15 AM

Reddog , The reason is there are so many quality manufactures out there now that sell rifles that are more accurate , out of the box , have better fit and finish , and cost less or the same . My shooting partner bought a 700 a few years ago , along with an auto 22 , and they were junk , the 22 would not group worth a darn , and the centerfire had a bolt issue , it would not close , and the fit and finish on the centerfire was about the worst Ive seen , it was cheesy .

I bought a savage at the same time and its a great gun , not reel pretty but shoots awesome , meanwhile my buddy has gotten rid of both of his remingtons . One he traded for an older model 700 , one manufactured in the 70's and it is a great gun . I believe remingtons quality has gone way down in recent years , their older product was of great quality .

The manufactures Id consider are
Savage
Howa
CZ
Tika
Winchester

gorse 09-28-2005 08:58 AM

ONE experience does not make for conclusive evidence. I have owned a number of (7) Remingtons over the years....1 Model Seven...and 6 Model 700's. ALL have been very good rifles....and have NEVER given me a single problem. ALL are quite accurate. Two of the BEST are 700 ADL's, both in .308. The two cheapest of the lot, yet they are nearly the best of the lot. I cannot speak specifically about the SPS, but it is merely an ADL with a new stock and a floorplate-type magazine (like the BDL)....so I would think that it would be fine. Sorry, but all of the talk of Remington quality decreasing in the last years is basically bogus. Every manufacturer occasionally produces a lemon. I have had a string of Remingtons, since 1983, and not one has been any less well-made than the other. To be sure, the finish quality (the bluing) is not the same as regards the "matte" finished rifles vs. the blued guns....but, that is an adaptation designed to decrease costs (so that the ADL and SPS can be sold cheaply). As regards the metalurgy and manufacturing, it is nonsense to suggest that somehow the quality has decreased - it simply isn't so. The production standards and tolerances haven't changed. I think that many take a superficial look at the rifles with the matte finish....and do not like it...and so decide that the quality has "gone to the dogs". The matte finish is not as nice or durable as the blued finish...no doubt. But, underlying the finish, the rifles are the same as before.