Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Elk Hunting???

Old 05-10-2006, 05:46 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting???

I have talked to one fellow that sounds like a go-gitter and a gamer kinda guy.
We'll see how it pans out for 2007, too late for 2006.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:10 AM

I have always wanted to go elk hunting, howveer due to a prosthetic left leg I have never been. I have always heard that it is hard walking. and a lot of it. I am not lazy "much" its just that uneven ground and rocks are my worst enemy. Even during deer season i have to ride the four wheeler as close as i can without disturbing the deer at like 3am so i am there in enough time to hustle to the stand. It seems i spend more time on the ground getting up than I do actually hunting, it sounds funny, but its true.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:00 AM

I have always heard that it is hard walking. and a lot of it.
One has to be careful about applying generalities to specifics; otherwise doors can be closed where possibilites may actually lay.

Yes, usually elk hunting involves lots of walking on generally uneven and often rocky terrain; however, not all elk hunts are done in this fashion. With the use of horses, large distances can be covered without a lot of walking; one does need to be able to ride however.

Elk hunting, about like anything else, can be done either by "going after them" (lots of shoe leather) or "hanging tight" in the right place (sniper nest style).
Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

EKM,

Your question has a lot of answers...depending on the level of disability....and on how determined the hunter is. Both my wife and son are disabled and they work very hard during the hunt; neither of themhave a problem with working hard. Part of that is due to their personalities.....he was born three months early and coded out on the table two times. Doctors wanted to let him die after the second, said he would not be viable; my wife said NO. Husband at the time bugged out; did not want a less than perfect kid. 23 years and 13 major operations later he is doing ok. His biggest issues, wrt hunting, are his vision (he has limited field of view, but acuity is ok) and his ability to hold a rifle steady for other than brief periods is limited. He did manage to bag a 2X3 mulie last year; his first. My wife has a neurolgical condition which limits her strength and stamina and produces almost constant pain.

To answer your question(s), your scenario is reasonable, depending upon the level of disability. Kinda tough to judge that level of determination when you are trying to hook up with a stranger. My advice to you is to get to know the person before making an offer...better for you and better for them too if all know what is expected.

As far as who would survive in your camp....it depends largely on attitude. Support needed?...Given your hunt scenario, I would stick with someone who once in awhile needs dedicated support; certainly no more than one person.

Feel free to post again or PM me if you have specific questions about disabilities.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:11 PM

feddoc,

You are the only person who really answered my first post along the lines of how I asked it. Very observant. Thanks for the insights.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:10 AM

Default RE: What Kind Of Elk Hunting Works?

I am interested in a hunt like that but don't know license requirements such as deadline for application and cost. I have a cardiac condition but am somewhat mobile as long as I don't overdo it. Have experience cutting deer and hunt with a .300 win mag.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:49 AM

I also am interested in this hunt. I hunt mostly deer and turkey in Kansas. I have cystic fibrosis and am currently in Dallas waiting for a double lung transplant. I've always wanted to go elk hunting, but could not handle it before. I would very much like to go after my transplant. Due to the higher costs of outfitters, I would never be able to afford them. But I could afford something like you are talking about. I would do what ever I could to help out around camp. If you would like to, email me at [email protected]. I'm defanitely interested.

Mark
Old 05-29-2006, 08:59 AM

I really did not answer your questions in my last post. Soooo here goes. I wouldn't take any more than 2 disabled hunters out with you. And that depends greatly on what their disablity is. Some might be able to do quite a bit around camp and do some walking. But some things they wouldn't be able to do, and they would have to be careful of notover doing it. Given that high of altutuide, I would try to get that person used to it before going to spike camp. That would just make thier hunt more enjoyable if they were used to the altuide.

The persons attuitude is going to make or break thier and possibly your hunt as far having fun goes. Some one else on here said to get to know the person first. I totally agree with that. You might want to just try getting to know some disabled hunters and see if you can learn what you can and can not handle. It might be something that you will learn with experience to. I wouldn't take some one that would not at least try to help out around camp. I don't care how disabled a person is, there ARE ways they he or she can help out around camp. They are not totally helpless and should not be treated as so.

I think its awsome that your thinking about taking a disabled person.

Mark

Old 05-29-2006, 08:10 PM

ELKampMaster.....I too am very interested in the possibility of participating in one of your "disabled" Elk hunts. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff who retired from numerous medical conditions the most dibilitatingof whichwas a massive heart attack. My cardiac condition has left me with some permanent damage to my heart which causes me to have a hard time walking too far. I also have had some ankle and shoulder injuries which cause numbness. Along with everyone else, cost has proven to be a major factor in participating in "guided" hunts. Horses have never been an issue, and I shoot a 340 Weatherby. I have hunted for years with friends here in California, but have yet to see a deer while hunting. Please keep me in mind if a hunt ever materializes. E-mail me if you have any questions.
Thanks
Dave
[email protected]
Old 06-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

well I found out about 9 weeks ago I have bone cancer in my right leg. I am not sure how much I will beable to do after they cut ins of my bone out or worse.I do know I will still elk hunt off a horse even if I have to be floped overthe saddleand hog tied.

I will not be able to do all I did elk hunting befor.I have many many years of elk/deer hunting under my belt.Just not sure how mobaile I will be after.BUT I HOPE I FIND A GUY LIKE YOU ELK,and your camp. Right now I am the one that takes every one else in and some times dose to much and pays to much.
Next year I may have to look you up[ even if all is still well ] I would not mind at all helping you bucher a few nice elk.

Nice invite
Charles Bradford

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.