Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Question on bolt weight >

Question on bolt weight

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question on bolt weight

Old 09-05-2015, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Question on bolt weight

I'm new to this crossbow stuff and only got one to take my grandchildren hunting. Here's my question. Is it important to have more weight up front in the business end of the bolt or just have total weight of the bolt the same?
The reason I am asking is that the bolts I got with my Ibex had 150 gr FTs which I removed and put on 125s. The reason I did this is because I purchased some Cabelas Hunter bolts that, with 100 gr tips are within 3 gr of the Excaliburs with 125 gr tips. Both bolts with their respective tips weigh in about 400 grs. I can also go the other way and use the original 150s and 125s but then I would have to get new broadheads.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Stay above the minimum total arrow weight and shoot them. Your bow will tell you if it prefers more weight out front.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wayspr
Stay above the minimum total arrow weight and shoot them. Your bow will tell you if it prefers more weight out front.

As long as your total weight is above 350 grains (minimum recommended by Excalibur), you are good-to-go. Your different brands of arrows might have a bit different FOC rating, but this should not be a problem at regular hunting distances. If your point of impact is that close, I would not worry.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys. I was hoping there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

With my Vortex I have had superior results with the GT Lazer II's and 100gr. brass inserts for WF and usually use 100gr heads. Price is great on the GT's....I've only had one hit on a deer that were not a passthrough. And that was due to a bad shot and shoulder hit on my part. Though the deer was still recovered it took some vigilant tracking due to a poor almost non existent blood trail.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Spike

FOC weight is important. I shoot 400 gr total weight with 150 tips, very consistent out of my Matrix 330 and Horton. Buckhunter is getting his FOC weight with the heavier brass inserts which allows him to drop down to lighter heads. Look at your inserts, if they are light alum inserts, IMHO I would stick with the 150 gr heads.