Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New crossbow!

Old 09-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New crossbow!

Looking at purchasing a new crossbow for deer hunting. Looking for something nice. What do ya'll recommend - manufacturer & model? Thinking of the TenPoint Venom or Vapor but what's the difference in ACUdraw vs. ACUdraw 50? What about scope, bolts, broadheads, etc. I know nothing bout xbows so looking for recommendations here...

Last edited by coolbrze0; 09-11-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

Can't go wrong with TenPoint. Acudraw is a crank system where as Acudraw 50 is a rope cocker that retracts into stock. The scopes that come on TenPoints are actually pretty good. I'd wait before buying an upgrade, probably won't be needed. I shoot Black Eagle Executioners out of mine with NAP Killzone broadheads. If you want a fixed blade, try Slick Tricks.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have the rope cocker on mine and wish I had the crank system. It is not easy to redraw with the rope while in a climbing stand that has a full bar around it!

Beyond that it is shooter preference and pocket book, the cheapest and slowest will still kill deer. The top end will have better optics and additional range.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wayspr
Can't go wrong with TenPoint. Acudraw is a crank system where as Acudraw 50 is a rope cocker that retracts into stock. The scopes that come on TenPoints are actually pretty good. I'd wait before buying an upgrade, probably won't be needed. I shoot Black Eagle Executioners out of mine with NAP Killzone broadheads. If you want a fixed blade, try Slick Tricks.
How do you like those Killzones? I bought a TenPoint Venom & bought some Killzones & Spitfires, they both shoot just like my field points...
Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Spike

You may want to look at the Excalibur Matrix series, great bows.
Your local pro shop will miss you though, as you will have no need for them any longer for bow maintenance
Old 10-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Spike

x2 on the Excalibur! I have a Matrix 355, and have killed 5 deer with it over the past 2 seasons. Fast, light and accurate. And I carry a spare string because I can re-string in field if necessary. Great bows, no wheels or cables to worry about.