Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty... >

Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty...

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty...

I am really considering quitting bowhunting. I was sitting in a short treeline with 1/4 miles of cut beans on all 4 sides. A huge bodied buck walked across the field staright towards me and stopped not much more than 30 yards away. He started walking back and forth like he knew something was up. At any rate he stopped standing broadside I took the shot. I'm not sure if he jumped when I shot but my arrow looked like it may have hit a little forward near the left shoulder. I am almost 100% certain the mech. BH did'nt open. The deer took off like a bat out of hell and I watched him run approx. 500 yards to the next county road over. To make a longer story short I went to where he was standing and paced off just over 30 yards and found where he had been standing. Not a single drop of blood ANYWHERE to be seen. I was able to follow what I believe where his tracks. (the whole field is full off fresh tracks) till I arrived at the next road over. I have no idea where he could have went after that as there are trees along the road blocking the view from where I was sitting. Another problem is that the property I believe he went on is owned by a guy that absolutely forbids anyone on his land (posted every 50 feet). I mean this is the kind of guy who is likely to meet you with a shotgun just for pulling in his drive. I looked for the arrow but didn't find it. More than likely because it didn't pass through or fall out. I am shooting an Excal Vortex using G5T3's. I have taken several deer with the Vortex but this is the first year using the G5's with the metal retaining clips. I am just so sick over this that I feel like puking. I plan on going back out looking for blood again in the morning but it does not look good at all. Not trying to be a whiner, but I really am considering just gun hunting from here on out. I lost a deer several years ago due to the lack of a blood trail and told myself if it happened again I would hang it up. I just don't know what to do as far as this decision. I definately will continue looking for blood and will go on that dudes land if I find a trail to follow. But as far as hunting with an arrow, I just don't know if I can still do it. It's like I've lost all confidence and honestly don't know if I could take a shot now or not. I realize in this sport this situation can happen. It just makes me sick wondering about the deer. No way will I be able to sleep for who knows how long. Close to 5 hours crawling looking for blood and not one speck. How can that be? I didn't understand it several years ago..... and never will. Even if the arrow didn't pass through, there should be some blood.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry you had to go through this, obviously it's at least unsettling to lose a deer; however, I'm unable to speak from personal experience. When a broadhead fails to open the entry and exit wounds are small and fill with fat and muscle tissue preventing blood from exiting the wounds. Even when a head opens it sometimes takes some distance before blood fills the thoracic cavity and exits. Personally I favor a 4 bladed fixed head - Slick Trick mags - to cause maximum hemorrhage, yet is tough enough to pass through the shoulder blade.
Don't disrepair, bucks are tough creatures. Given the distance of his run it's likely that he'll survive. Last year I saw the shoulder blade of a buck with an arrowhead firmly imbedded in it. He had been shot the previous yr and was "re-harvested" that yr, showing no signs of adverse effect. Last yr, my neighbor re-shot a big doe that he hit in the brisket (with a 30-06!) 3 yrs previously. It was apparent the deer had suffered a major sucking chest wound. Cartridge had reformed where the sternum was shattered. The wound was closed, but not with skin. It was still weeping and covered with debris and tissue that had the appearance of a wart. She showed no signs of ill effect; in fact she had birthed and raised a fawn that spring.
I too shoot a Vortex, it's a great bow. I shoot mine near daily to keep the eye sharp. Suggest you keep on bow hunting, use a range finder for anything over 20 yards but try a different head.

Last edited by Cossack; 11-06-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhunt long enough and you ARE GOING TO lose an animal/s! It happens unfortunately. ALOT can happen during "the moment of truth" and once the adrenalin dump happens, things can REALLY get out of kilter in a hurry.

NO SENSE in quitting tho! I personally REFUSE to shoot mechanicals but I realize that millions have been sold and umpteen bajillion animals have been taken with them so you can't say they dont work. I just prefer a really good, fixed cutting/blade point. Who's to say your same shot with a fixed wouldn't have resulted in the same situation? A bad hit matters NOT what type of arrow or head you used.

Take a break for a couple days or even the rest of the season. Maybe gun/primitive weapon season is coming up and you can use that to "clear your mind". But I certainly wouldn't make any rash decisions based on emotion. That's NEVER a good choice in life!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya... & thank you all for the encouragement. Went and looked for a few more hours.... to no avail.

It did make me feel better going back out and looking again yesterday morning and afternoon for awhile, even though I didn't find any trace of the deer or the arrow.

Now I know I've tried my best to find/retrieve it, so that helps some.
I will take a break and hunt the regular firearm and then the ML season.
Then may go back out with the CB later this winter.

And yes, one way or the other, I too believe it may have been a bad hit.
Though still am also wondering about the mech. broadhead.
May go back to the Spitfires or MeatSeekers if I choose to stay with mechanicals.
Also have some Boss Wasp fixed blades that I have and haven't tried out. May sight in with those and re-index my arrows.

Good luck to all you the rest of your seasons.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Bowhunt long enough and you ARE GOING TO lose an animal/s! It happens unfortunately. ALOT can happen during "the moment of truth" and once the adrenalin dump happens, things can REALLY get out of kilter in a hurry.

NO SENSE in quitting tho! I personally REFUSE to shoot mechanicals but I realize that millions have been sold and umpteen bajillion animals have been taken with them so you can't say they dont work. I just prefer a really good, fixed cutting/blade point. Who's to say your same shot with a fixed wouldn't have resulted in the same situation? A bad hit matters NOT what type of arrow or head you used.

Take a break for a couple days or even the rest of the season. Maybe gun/primitive weapon season is coming up and you can use that to "clear your mind". But I certainly wouldn't make any rash decisions based on emotion. That's NEVER a good choice in life!
Sorry to hear of your bad experience but dont give it up!...Ive had good and bad results with expandables...

If anything Id say switch to fixed broad head...like Muzzy. We cant even use the expandables here in Idaho. and I tell you what I don't miss them! I always worried about them not working right. with the fixed broadhead you know its going through the shoulder no matter what. I had a bad shot (at least in my opinion) on the doe I shot this year. I spined her and clipped a lung and she dropped in her tracks...I know for a fact the expandable wouldn't have done the same. last year it was a complete pass through and the doe ran 40-50yds and collapsed dead in her tracks.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's why I use Montec5's I never have to worry about them opening up and they shoot great out of my crossbow.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Spike

Sorry for your mishap. This is my third season with a CB. Really the first full season. I started with two blade mechanicals and lost two bucks that I never found, despite extremely thorough searches. I also shot a doe that made it too far and found her by accident after the meat was spoiled. I am in what is called the CWD zone here in WI. We are allowed several deer, must take a doe to receive a buck tag after the first one. I switched to Spitfire 3 blade mechanicals this year and I'm 4 for 4 this season. They have done a tremendous job for me. If you are not confident, switch to the 3 blade fixed like the Muzzy. Some do not like to use lighted nocks, but I feel they are just one more added feature to ensure you collect the animal. I've heard the deer cannot entered in P&Y if shot using lighted nocks. If that is your goal, better check on it. I simply enjoy hunting and could care less about P&Y or B&C. Yes, of course, I want to shoot "the big one", but in my eyes the record book thing is nothing more than ego trip and I'm not interested in that. I want to enjoy hunting and create memories. The day approaches for all of us when memories will be what is left. At my age, that day could be anytime soon, or maybe 20 more years? So to heck with the record books. Switch broadheads and get after it!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

only purpose I see on a lighted nock is IF you had a bad shot and the arrow stuck in the deer...most the time the arrows pass straight through...a lighted nock doesn't help there...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
only purpose I see on a lighted nock is IF you had a bad shot and the arrow stuck in the deer...most the time the arrows pass straight through...a lighted nock doesn't help there...
Perhaps you have never made a bad shot? I'm just not that perfect. Also on a pass through, and it is getting to end of the day, (happens frequently) you can find your arrow quickly. They aren't for everybody, but sort of like the American Express commercial, I won't leave home wiyhout them.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anything mechanical is due to fail at some point. I harvested a 6 with the arrow still in it and the rage 3 blade didn't employ. But my Slick Trick had no problems. Like others have said," Don't give up just switch to fixed".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.