Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty... >

Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty...

Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

" Don't give up just switch to fixed". __________________
LOL Jersey that makes a nice jiggle and it's so true.I believe in the K.I.S.S.concept.A fixed blade either hits or misses but I never have to worry about it opening.

Last edited by FlDeerman; 11-07-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Spike

Just harvested another one yesterday late afternoon with a Spitfire, 3 blade mechanical. Worked absolutely perfect. Passed through like a hot knife through butter. Immediate blood and good blood trail to the end. Did not make 100 yards even though my hit was a shade farther back than I would have liked. That is 5 for 5 with no problems. If you prefer mechanical, don't see how you could go wrong with the Spitfire.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tyme2Hunt
Just harvested another one yesterday late afternoon with a Spitfire, 3 blade mechanical. Worked absolutely perfect. Passed through like a hot knife through butter. Immediate blood and good blood trail to the end. Did not make 100 yards even though my hit was a shade farther back than I would have liked. That is 5 for 5 with no problems. If you prefer mechanical, don't see how you could go wrong with the Spitfire.

I agree. That's what I started out with and never had a problem with them. Should never have switched. I also had good luck with the Meatsekers. Also sold under another name. It also seems the front deploy mechs would have a muss less chance of not opening. Definately not using the G5's I lost the deer on. Heck I have the WASP's, I'll just use them I suppose. If I do use mech's again, they will be the SpitFires.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bow hunt long enough and you will lose a wounded deer. I have lost a few in the past 50+ years and recall everyone as if it were yesterday.

If you have permission to look for the deer across property lines, don't give up yet. There might be someone in your area that has a tracking dog ... if that is legal up that way. I have one and she is priceless when it comes to finding a downed deer. I am trying to figure out how to post a track job that she did just this past weekend.

I think that this hit of yours is a typical "dead-on the scapula" or you more or less centered the large bone in the deer's upper front leg. Unless the arrow splits the bone cleanly, and punches through with a good deal of momentum, there is not going to be much penetration. Only a few inches or so. And not much blood.

Like FlDeerman I am not a fan of expandables at all though I realize thousands of bow hunters swear by them. I view these as unecessary for me because I have had absolutely zero problems with accuracy issues or killing deer sized game cleanly with a fixed blade broad head since 1962.

I currently use a X-Bow due to an injury. The 125 gr. Montec G5 is my personal favorite right now. Extremely consistent groups and I have yet to have one not penetrate at least a foot. I'd say 15 out of 20 shots have been full pass throughs.

The way I see this design, there is practically zero that can go wrong short of a total breakage of the broadhead. I have yet to experience that.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for everything guys...and gals.

I am back in the saddle.

Found a couple good NAP SpitFires I had laying around.

I'm condident in them as I have always had good luck using them.

I also found a new place to gun hunt!!! Small property with limited access to surrounding properties for tracking purposes.

But it is a great spot for gun hunting. Just not good for archery since neighbors don't want people tracking deer on their property.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Spike

It makes you feel bad but remember nothing goes to waste in nature. He will either survive or feed another critter.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckstop515
It makes you feel bad but remember nothing goes to waste in nature. He will either survive or feed another critter.

I know.... he may be alive and well or yote food. I been out a couple times since but haven't seen anything in range. Have a few days of ML season left. I will be going out tonight and next few days. Then archery until Jan 3rd. Hoping to still get one....
Old 12-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Spike

What I hate is to shoot one late in the evening and find it 1/2 eaten in the morning.