HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty...
Old 11-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Sorry you had to go through this, obviously it's at least unsettling to lose a deer; however, I'm unable to speak from personal experience. When a broadhead fails to open the entry and exit wounds are small and fill with fat and muscle tissue preventing blood from exiting the wounds. Even when a head opens it sometimes takes some distance before blood fills the thoracic cavity and exits. Personally I favor a 4 bladed fixed head - Slick Trick mags - to cause maximum hemorrhage, yet is tough enough to pass through the shoulder blade.
Don't disrepair, bucks are tough creatures. Given the distance of his run it's likely that he'll survive. Last year I saw the shoulder blade of a buck with an arrowhead firmly imbedded in it. He had been shot the previous yr and was "re-harvested" that yr, showing no signs of adverse effect. Last yr, my neighbor re-shot a big doe that he hit in the brisket (with a 30-06!) 3 yrs previously. It was apparent the deer had suffered a major sucking chest wound. Cartridge had reformed where the sternum was shattered. The wound was closed, but not with skin. It was still weeping and covered with debris and tissue that had the appearance of a wart. She showed no signs of ill effect; in fact she had birthed and raised a fawn that spring.
I too shoot a Vortex, it's a great bow. I shoot mine near daily to keep the eye sharp. Suggest you keep on bow hunting, use a range finder for anything over 20 yards but try a different head.

Last edited by Cossack; 11-06-2013 at 05:37 AM.