HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of hanging it up after todays travesty...
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

You bow hunt long enough and you will lose a wounded deer. I have lost a few in the past 50+ years and recall everyone as if it were yesterday.

If you have permission to look for the deer across property lines, don't give up yet. There might be someone in your area that has a tracking dog ... if that is legal up that way. I have one and she is priceless when it comes to finding a downed deer. I am trying to figure out how to post a track job that she did just this past weekend.

I think that this hit of yours is a typical "dead-on the scapula" or you more or less centered the large bone in the deer's upper front leg. Unless the arrow splits the bone cleanly, and punches through with a good deal of momentum, there is not going to be much penetration. Only a few inches or so. And not much blood.

Like FlDeerman I am not a fan of expandables at all though I realize thousands of bow hunters swear by them. I view these as unecessary for me because I have had absolutely zero problems with accuracy issues or killing deer sized game cleanly with a fixed blade broad head since 1962.

I currently use a X-Bow due to an injury. The 125 gr. Montec G5 is my personal favorite right now. Extremely consistent groups and I have yet to have one not penetrate at least a foot. I'd say 15 out of 20 shots have been full pass throughs.

The way I see this design, there is practically zero that can go wrong short of a total breakage of the broadhead. I have yet to experience that.