Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New Bow, Blown String!!! >

New Bow, Blown String!!!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Bow, Blown String!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face New Bow, Blown String!!!

I was at my friend's house shooting my xbow. the weather was nice and I was feeling great and then the bottom fell out!

After shooting my sixth shot, my string broke and scared the ever loving schmidt out of me. Now this is a brand new xbow and I have only shot it less then a dozen times.

After calming myself down and collecting my stuff, I called the company. We talked a while and told me they would send me a new string. They wanted me to send them the bow. I asked them if they had a dealer in my local area and they did. Told them I would take it to the dealer and they agreed. Good customer service department!!!

The man at the store looked at the string, arrow and bow and we both came to the same conclusion. The nock at the end of the arrow was not clued in place and had rotated. So when I placed the arrow in the rail, the cupped nock edges were up against the string. I pulled the trigger and the nock cut through the string. I left the bow with the dealer he will give it a good go over and restring it for me.

Just glad I didn't get hurt. It all happened so fast, unbelievable!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow... that's the first I've heard of a nock cutting through a serving and string. Glad you are okay.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Wow... that's the first I've heard of a nock cutting through a serving and string. Glad you are okay.
I said the same thing to myself. My last xbow was a TenPoint and it had a flat nock. I now must make sure of the nock position in the string or I''m screwed!!! don't like that idea, but the bow is one of those new reverse limb designs and it is so nice to handle.

Don't want to say what the company name is, they are taking care of me. And that says a lot now-a-days!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
go to crossbow nation and talk to some of them. this is not uncommon on the new high preformance crossbows and actually most of the fast ones are using aluminum half moon nocks because the preasure is causeing the plastic half moon nocks to break and in turn snapping strings and limbs.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Spike

Whoah! Glad you are ok! That is my biggest fear with my crossbow. I just bought one two weeks ago and I love it. I am just afraid that that string is gonna snap one of these days. I am waxing the deck and strings every 10 shots according to the manufacturer so I should be ok...I hope lol.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a very interesting development and puts me on point to watch out for nock position ... my set up uses the half-mooners.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting xbows for a few years now. My last bow had flat nocks. Those are easier to manage. What I must do now is make sure the nock is clued in to the proper position. That should not have to be an issue. Why they don't use flat nocks is beyond me!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I have been shooting xbows for a few years now. My last bow had flat nocks. Those are easier to manage. What I must do now is make sure the nock is clued in to the proper position. That should not have to be an issue. Why they don't use flat nocks is beyond me!!!

I hear you there man. I use flat aluminum threaded end caps on my Excaibur Vortexl. My Horton I had before this bow used the halfmoon nocks. I bought a "inexpensive" string on Ebay last year and thought I was getting a good deal and first shot the string busted. Freaked me out too. It was a partial dryfire but luckily didn't damage my x-bow. I learned a valuable lesson and now will only buy quality Excalibur strings or good cutom made ones. I too wonder why manufacturers don't all just use the flat nocks.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you're ok and being taken care of.
I too wonder why manufacturers don't all just use the flat nocks.
Physics. Claws that flip up take flat, claws that flip down take half moon 95% of the time.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

I hope your xbow is not a barnett. I sold my old tenpoint and bought a Barnett predator as a buddy talked me into it. He raged about how fast his shot and all and I bought into the hype. From the first day I bought the bow it was blowing up strings in my face. Barnett sent me new strings and eventually took the bow back and worked on it, but it kept on doing the same thing. I finally made the re-seller take it back and I bought another ten point and have been very happy with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.