Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

broadheads

Old 05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Spike

Default broadheads

Hello everyone been lurking here about a month, read most of the past posts. But I haven't seen anything on this subject. Can I use my regular broadheads with my crossbow. Thx
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Spike

There have been some issues reported with mechanicals opening early. Manufacturers have come out with crossbow-specific heads...Grim Reaper makes such a version which I've used with success. If you're shooting a fixed blade, you can shoot it with your crossbow...but as with any fixed blade, you'll have to practice with them and see if they fly well.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Slick Trick fixed blades broadheads shoot to same P.O.I. as same weight field tips. They leave an awesome blood trail , I've been using STs since they came out I use them with many different crossbows and they are great. When using 100gr brass inserts the 100gr ST are fantastic, If you're using aluminum inserts the 125gr work very well.

One word of caution is don't shoot at the same P.O.I with the second arrows as you will wreck both arrows,
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

What are your "regular" broadheads? If you mean a fixed blade or replaceable blade design in 100 gr. or 125 gr. .... then I suspect certainly these would be OK. Try it out target shooting. If they group well, then you have winner.

I use a 3 blade fixed blade (125 gr. Montec G-5), and several of my buddies use one brand or another of either fixed blade or replacable blade designs. All of us use a 3 blade broadhead. I have had no problems at all with penetration, good blood trails and clean kills with the Montec as long as my shot placement is where it should have been.

Last edited by Mojotex; 06-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default Broadheads

Thanks for the replies. I have been shooting slick tricks this past season and before that rage mechanicals. Like them both, had some trouble with the rage until I started using my daughters rubber bands from her braces. Onebear I lived in the U.P. for 5 years I miss it. It was some of the best hunting and fishing I ever had in my 59 years. Don't miss the winters anymore kind of enjoyed them when I was younger though.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

NAP Spitfires work well with most crossbows. I also have some rear deploying mechs. that use rubber bads that I have had good luck with. Can't remember the name of them right offhand.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my Montecs,they fly the same as the same weight field tips.I've shot them out to forty yards,and they can be resharpened to use to hunt.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've not found a better broadhead than the Slick Trick Magnum.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default Broadheads

The tech where I got my Horton Brotherhood said the "crossbow specific" broadheads are purely a marketing thing. I've shot several heads and NAP Spitfires hit exactly where my field points do. I've also had good results with Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Locks but the Spitfires penetrate better and are sharper out of the package.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Spike

X2 on the Montecs. As with any broadhead on any type of arrow, just make sure it is spinning true.