Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
What's your max sure kill range? >

What's your max sure kill range?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What's your max sure kill range?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the replies. I realize the range decisision is based on many factors. I will probably keep it under 30 yards. I'll be glad when someone invents a way to take the noise out of the crossbow shot. I was use to 40 yard shots with the mathews with complete confidence on a kill.
Opening morning, I saw 16 deer +/- and only had 3 come under 30 yards. One was a button and the other two still had a few spots so I passed. Good luck to all.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 40 yards.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had plenty of issues with deer jumping the string with an x-bow. Because of this, I prefer 20 yards or less. I would shoot out to 25 if the deer was completely relaxed. But I shoot an older bow at 260 fps or so. I can shoot accurately to 35 - 40 yards and made the mistake early on of thinking that meant I could shoot deer that far. Well after a few misses and poor hits, I learned better....
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

as you see,these are true SPORTSMAN on here.they take ethical shots usually 30 yds and under.
not like idiots i am seeing here in my area of pa taking 50 yd shots on bear and deer.they are wounding them too.'

these crossbow lazy meat hunters i am seeing in my area are disgusting.
i cant stand even going near them in town or at club or archery shop talking about how easy it is to get deer at 50 yds with crossbow.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
as you see,these are true SPORTSMAN on here.they take ethical shots usually 30 yds and under.
not like idiots i am seeing here in my area of pa taking 50 yd shots on bear and deer.they are wounding them too.'

these crossbow lazy meat hunters i am seeing in my area are disgusting.
i cant stand even going near them in town or at club or archery shop talking about how easy it is to get deer at 50 yds with crossbow.
wow... yea that's pretty bad. Targets shooting 50yds sure. hunting ... not hardly. I let one walk this morning. she was at 30yrds but the angle was poor and some brush in the way. There was one moment I prolly could have let one go ....but it just didn't feel right. Maybe get her on her way out tonight!