Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
I've got the POI blues. >

I've got the POI blues.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I've got the POI blues.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default I've got the POI blues.

I'm a proud new owner of an Axiom. I have awesome accuracy with 125gr field points. The poi matches the scope's reticle at each hold point. The problem is broadheads hit 3ins low at 30 ydrs. The first head is a 125gr Slick Trick Magnum. The second head a 125gr Thunderhead (I picked this head from my "old days" collection for the test). The broadheads windage are right on but both hit 3" low, quite accurately though. I prefer not to change the scope to meet the broadheads impact. I like having the scope points match the poi at 10yd intervals. The bow's avergage velocity is 294 ft/sec, ~6fps deviation. Total arrow weight 390gr with a FOC 13%. Each shot was with the same arrow. Each point/head was weighed and all were within 2grs. If POI would be better with mechanicals I would change but I prefer to use fixed blades. What am I missing?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Don't worry there are usually several self proclaimed experts that will ponyificate on their cure for your problem. If not on this forum post your question(s) on Archery Talk forum in the crossbow area. Guarenteed you will receive many "expert" opinions!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would sight in the crossbow with the broadheads you are using and try using a little heavier field point to bring it down a little. That's what I did with my compound a few years agol.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

X2 ... I'm no EXPERT by any means, just a few years shooting CB's.... this is what has worked for me. I would sight in with your hunting heads. I shoot the Vortex with the Varizone scope. On some BH's I notice that when sighted in at 20 then one of the other aimpoints may be off a little. After sighting in at 20yrds I made some adjustments on the speed ring setting (varizone). I haven't chrono'd my CB and don't know my exact speed but I think it's pretty close. I basically set the ring to to fine tune my remaining aimpoints and didn't go by any specific number or setting. I just moved it until my POI for the other aimpoints was set up how I liked it. I'm not totally sure if that's exactly how the manual said to do it or not. But I believe it said to set the speedring AFTER sighting in at 20yrds. Then it's supposed align your remaining aimpoints properly. But like I was saying. Depending on your arrows, heads, string etc. You may not get all the aimpoints to hit spot on for every range. You'll just have to experiment a little. It took me a little while getting mine just how I wanted it but now it's dialed in great. Hope this helps...

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 09-28-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never sighted in my bows for the purpose of hunting, and now my Crossbow, with field points. Seems simple to me .... I am going to hunt with a broad head. I need to tune the sight system to that broad head. I used field points, which usually hit "close enough" to the broad head's POI for working on form and strengthening my shooting muscles. When setting up for 3-D shoots or other target competition, I'd move to sighting in with the field points I was going tu use in the competition.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I'm fortunate to have buddies that will lend me extra heads. Tomorrow I should have a 100gr slick trick, a 125gr spitfire and a 100gr spitfire to try. If these do not fly for me I will likely change the scope to match the heads. The Axiom scope does not adjust to arrow speed/weight; would help alot if it did. I like an idea to mark the turret to the head/point. I may also try to "up" the field point weight also.I will let you know my results.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Spike

I had the same problem untill I got my foc up to 18+. I needed brass inserts and wow what a differance.

Good luck, Stan
Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Spike

Slick trick 100gr was 10 inches low at 30 yards.? Spitfire 100gr and Steelhead 100gr were dead-on with the 125gr field points. I'm a little confused, but no longer blue. I'm ready for the hunt now. Thanks. PS. I'm using the Spits.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal! This afternoon I shot my Parker Tornado a bit. I use a 125 gr. Montec 3-blade. I compared a 125 gr. field point's POI and that of a couple of practice Montecs I have just fr the fun of it. I had already tuned for the the broad-heads.

At 20 yards, the Montecs hit dead center using my 20 yard pin dead on. At 20 yards, the field points were perfect in elevation and consistently about 1" left of dead center. I tried a couple of Thunderhead 125 gr. broad-heads. They hit consistently dead on windage and about 1/2" lower than the Montecs. I had a couple of old 150 gr. Snuffers. So why not ? These are an old style wide blade with the brazed bleeders. They are devastating and I used them for decades out of a recurve. I was surprised ! At 20 yards windage was about 1/2" right and the elevation just out of the "bull". So I tried all at 40 yards .... using my 40 yard pin. Montecs .... dead on. Thunder heads about 1 1/2" low. Field points about 2" left. Snuffers about 5" low but darned near dead on windage. I was expecting erratic flight from the heavy, wide Snuffers. Learn something new every day. Wonder what my old 170 Gr. Land Sharks will do ??? I think I'll not worry about that. Season opens in 2 weeks !!!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Spike

What Stan said.