Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
What's your max sure kill range? >

What's your max sure kill range?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What's your max sure kill range?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's your max sure kill range?

After 40+ years with bows, my shoulders have decided no more so I'm a rookie crossbow dude. I've been practicing for two months with my new Parker and am confident I can hit anything that's still in the arrows path out to 45 yards.
My question, with a crossbow sounding something like a .22 rifle going off, what's your experience tell you that your surefire that deer ain't going to jump or duck or spin out of the way arrow range.
I'm thinking my Parker should be a sure bet at 30 yards but beyond that, I don't have that experience factor to know. What's your experience tell you. Please, no speculating, experience only.
thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockytop
After 40+ years with bows, my shoulders have decided no more so I'm a rookie crossbow dude. I've been practicing for two months with my new Parker and am confident I can hit anything that's still in the arrows path out to 45 yards.
My question, with a crossbow sounding something like a .22 rifle going off, what's your experience tell you that your surefire that deer ain't going to jump or duck or spin out of the way arrow range.
I'm thinking my Parker should be a sure bet at 30 yards but beyond that, I don't have that experience factor to know. What's your experience tell you. Please, no speculating, experience only.
thanks
At 30 yards alert deer have been known to swap ends or duck an arrow before the arrow arrived. Surefire? No way. If you are loaded with a pretty light arrow for the best speeds aim low (heart shot) and you'll either have a clean miss or a good shot.
If a deer has it's tail down, looking away, ears pointed away, eating I'll take a 40 yard shot.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockytop
thanks
That is a tough question to answer as there are way too many variables. Every opportunity presents a different situation. Although myself or other experienced crossbow shooters are capable of consistently shooting accurately to 50yds, I personally am hesitant to shoot at a deer over 30yds away.
I believe to be an ethical hunter you owe it to you quarry to do everything you possiblycan to insure a clean, humane and quick kill.
To me the challemge and enjoyment of hunting any animal is to get as close as possible to minimize a bad shot/hit.. A persons ability to shoot accurately to 50yds or more is not any guarentee when hunting.
Each person (should) know their skill and proficieny and always, always hunt and shoot in the most ethical manner
In 40+ years of hunting I have never lost an animal that I shot. That s because I only take a shot when I believe I have a 99.9% chance of a clean kill. Conscquently I have never shot at a deer , elk, moose or other big game animal with a crossbow or vertical bow farther than 28yds.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck i have no trouble reaching out to 100 yds fer a shot,---------using my ML. Using Miss Vixen wid my logs on unalert deer 35 yds. If'en the deer has winded me or is really spooky 20 yds.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have hit the ten ring so to speak out to about 43 yards. Many factors would limit that to maybe under 20 yards.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Targets ain't deer. Regularly practice by shooting out to 60 yards with all three of my bows. Deer, as already stated, their alertness state matters greatly. Out of respect for the game-and the sport of archery-I prefer under 30 for my kills, regardless how fast the arrow is going.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 35 yards, prefer 35 feet.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by awshucks
About 35 yards, prefer 35 feet.
about the same here... still prefer about 30yrds and under. Though I am feeling more confident this year. Switching arrows to the GT's w/brass inserts and getting the flemish string put my poi pretty much spot on. Also got alot more practice in this summer.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

30 yds, I have had them looking the other way and still duck far enough at the sound 30 yds away to aim at the low on the body and still hit the spine.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Won't shoot past 35 yards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.