Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Tracer Nocks

Old 03-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tracer Nocks

ORIGINAL: dyeclan

All you gotta do is turn off the volume and use your eyeballs. You can see four types of nock side by side. That's all it takes. Who give's a rat's arse where the video came from?
Awwwwwwww come on.

As I said, I do not have a problem with video's showing pro's & con's of an item. But when it is produced by a company that represents an ITEM then it is an advertisement for that product not a true comparison. I also stated above that there are trade off for brightness, which is battery life. Believe me that at dawn or dusk, you do not need a very bright lighted nock for it to be very visible.

In my research on lighted nocks, there were some very noticeable downfalls to the inersial switch lighted nocks. The biggest factor is reliability. The fact you are driving the nock forward, when releasing the string, to make contact with two wires which turns on the lighted diode shows the weak point, the friction part will wear. Also to shut it off, you must pull out on the nock to break the connection. To me, I much prefer the magnetic switch. Now think of walking through the bush and you bump the nocks in your quiver, this could very easily turn then on, and you might not even notice this fact.

To me, the method of turning on and reliability is most important. Ease of use would be next and then brightness as it would not need to be too bright to be seen at dawn or dusk.
Easton took a really good product and ruined it. They somehow managed to cut the brightness and did away with the replaceable batt. I f the firenock would blink they would have the perfect lighted nock I do like the flashing feature of the tracer
That is too bad as the orginal tracer was a good item. I have not handled the Easton tracer so I could not give an opinion on them. But I also agree that the flashing feature is a great thing to have. The flashing light is easier to spot then the constant glow.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the tracers (pre Easton) and have found a good source for replacement batteries.
If you buy the new ones the batteries are not replaceable according to Easton.

I also did not like the design of the luminock but the brightness was excellent,i never tried the firenock.
I like the blinking mode on the tracer but not the magnet activation,however once I found a good spot for the magnet there has been zero problems and they light everytime.
I think the tracers are plenty bright,it doesnt take much light to be able to seeand the flashing mode really makes the easy to find, your eye is drawn to the flashing.
It's nice to have a choice though so everyone can get the ones that they like.

I have been looking at the nock since easton bought them and it looks as if the nock is unchanged except for the addition of shrink wrap tubing where the battery connects.
If that is the case then the battery could be changed.
G5 makes lighted nocks for vert bow arrows that use G force to activate and then you tap the nock 3 times to turn it off.
They are very bright (blue light)
As far as I know they dont have them for crossbows but I sent them an e mail expressing my interest in them doing so.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

For what it is worth I have tried all three and with the Luminocks you can hear the carbon cracking as you wiggle out the nock, and with the Eastons I have had a 1 in 6 failure rate. I said the heck with it and sell Firenock now. Very bright, simple to use, replaceable batter, great customer service and next to a zero failure rate. A bit pricy, but more than worth it for a quality product!!

Wyvern
Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

yes Wyvern, but do they have the flat nock for a Ten Point Xbow? I didn't see any on that chart. I may be interested in them if so. Thanks,
BBO
Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

OK, good. I like em. Now my question is, How are they packed? one or two or three packs. After all, $54 can't be for just one, right?
BBO
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Firenock

$54.95 for 3 but 6 nocks, 3 lighted and 3 practice.

http://shop.firenock.com/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=46
Shouldnt this be in the classified ads instead of in the forum?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

right coyote, but we're talking about Xbow lighted nocks and I for one, am getting an education on em. I use the Tracer nocks but now I want to try the firenocks now that the price is for three. Not too bad, cause I like new hunting stuff. I know we have factory reps here and they are very helpful for old farts like me, so I don't see a problem about their products and discussions on this forum.
BBO
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Spike

I have used the old tracer and the new tracer yuk and the luminock and the luminock works great in an aluminum arrow carbon phooey if the new tracer gets down in much grass it isn't bright enough to see
Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

right coyote, but we're talking about Xbow lighted nocks and I for one, am getting an education on em. I use the Tracer nocks but now I want to try the firenocks now that the price is for three. Not too bad, cause I like new hunting stuff. I know we have factory reps here and they are very helpful for old farts like me, so I don't see a problem about their products and discussions on this forum.
BBO
I do to,just meant he could have pmed his web site to the guy,sorry, no more bothering.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me I saw a pkg of one crossbow nock with several practice nocks in my surfing. But at $20. plus std shipping I ordered the tree pack...like getting one free.

Edited to correct error.

Sorry folks, my mistake that was a single pack of G nock, not GC the crossbow nock.