Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

horton crossbow

Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Default horton crossbow

I went to the two stores in our area that carrier crossbows, a dick's sporting goods and a gander mountain, pretty much the same stuff at both, shot all but 1 of their crossbows, and i found the only one i liked was one of their cheaper ones, Horton HD150 explorer, the butt was more comfortable against my shoulder, but more than that i liked the grip on the stock, all the others had a hole to put your fingures thru(not your trigger fingure, other hand just to be clear), which i understand but i liked the solid grip of the horton explorer, anyone have any experience with these or know of a better bow that has a similar stock if this one is not good. all the ones i shot were hortons and ten points, the ten points had more power but werent as comfortable for me, and since im looking at this more for a target shooting sport than hunting, i think im leaning towards the horton. also whats a good weight, the horton was a 150 most of the tenpoints were either 165 or 175, i think there was a 185 in there somewhere.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: horton crossbow

I started out with a similiar CB... A Horton Team RealTree HD175. Close to the same bow but a little more draw weight. It was okay but I ended up upgrading to an Excalibur Vortex by the next season. I like it much more. Either one will kill deer however.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:49 PM

can i ask what it was you didnt liek about it, or liked more on the other. I have no plans to hunt but want something thats up to the challenge if i change my mind, here in pa crossbows are legal in almost all the rifle and muzzleloader seasons.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Horton Summit 150, it's similar to the one you handled but it's a little cheaper and 10fps slower. I've killed two deer with the Summit, my neighbor has the Explorer and he likes it but has never taken anything with it. The supplied red dot scope has a tendancy to have some problems after about a year of heavy shooting. The strings hold up great and they are very solid xbows.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 PM

scopes not a big deal ill probably replce it for a triple red point or a multireticle. i've been reading reviews on the bows all night and people realy seem to like them with very few problems.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wilbar

can i ask what it was you didnt liek about it, or liked more on the other. I have no plans to hunt but want something thats up to the challenge if i change my mind, here in pa crossbows are legal in almost all the rifle and muzzleloader seasons.
I think the accuracy is better on the Ecal... it is also easier for me to maintain since it is a recurve. This is just my opinion of course....
Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wilbar

I went to the two stores in our area that carrier crossbows, a dick's sporting goods and a gander mountain, pretty much the same stuff at both, shot all but 1 of their crossbows, and i found the only one i liked was one of their cheaper ones, Horton HD150 explorer, the butt was more comfortable against my shoulder, but more than that i liked the grip on the stock, all the others had a hole to put your fingures thru(not your trigger fingure, other hand just to be clear), which i understand but i liked the solid grip of the horton explorer, anyone have any experience with these or know of a better bow that has a similar stock if this one is not good. all the ones i shot were hortons and ten points, the ten points had more power but werent as comfortable for me, and since im looking at this more for a target shooting sport than hunting, i think im leaning towards the horton. also whats a good weight, the horton was a 150 most of the tenpoints were either 165 or 175, i think there was a 185 in there somewhere.
Interesting spelling of the other word for "metacarpals" but whatever. I have a horton and I like the way it shoots. I've heard almost all good things from them. My only issue is that mine is loud but I put silencers on it and I'm going to use some junk from work to numb up the stirrup a bit since it's a bell but it's also an older Horton. What are you hunting? Deer a 150 will be plenty. The bigger the game the stronger the bow usually. The more dangerous the more # as well as you would want to knock it down quickly.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Fork Horn

Never mind, you said you aren't hunting. You won't have many issues with a Horton. Ten points are supposed to be really nice, but I've never shot one and excals are supposed to be top of the line. You really won't be out much with the Horton though. Depends on what you want to spend, too. You can get into some serious money if you want to get top-of-the-line with Strykers, Ten Points, Excals, even Horton has the new recon for like $1300. Price is always an issue for me but I don't like to buy crap.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

I love how it blanks out the store's name! HAHA! We'll call it Richard's, how's that?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

For mostly target shooting and the possibility of deer hunting, you may want to check out the Excal Vixen. Light, reliable, hardly any maintenance, and deadly accurate. If you go this route, try the peep and fibre optic pin that comes w/ it before anything else.

Quick Reply: horton crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.