Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Aluminum moon nocks >

Aluminum moon nocks

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Aluminum moon nocks

Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Aluminum moon nocks

Received several pre production moon nocks for Gold Tip Lazer II arrows from Wyvern Creation for testing.
Initial impression is that the nocks are very well made, no machining marks or sharp edges noted.They weigh 23.1 grains, as compared 8.7 grains for the stock plastic moon nocks, and 21.5 grains for stock flat nocks for the same arrow. The small difference in weight between the aluminum moon and flat nocks id due to the extensions (wings) from the radius. The radius measures .085'' in depth, slightly deeper that that of the stock plastic nock at .074". The outside diameter at the head of the aluminum nock is .343" compared to .345" for the plastic nocks; it fits absolutely flush with the outside of the arrow. The outside diameter of the stem portion that fits into the arrow is .2995" which compares to .3004" of the plastic nock. The difference being in 6 small ribs that enable the plastic nock to be press fitted into the arrow. The aluminum moon nocks must be glued in. The aluminum nocks have a hole through them which is not threaded (It is my understanding that they will be threaded to fit the Excalibur arrow puller when released for sale). The plastic nock also have a hole so a hex nut can be used to adjust the nock with the vanes. (This, in my estimation, substantially weakens that nock).
I was concerned that the added weight could affect the FOC and possibly the accuracy of my arrow. These GT Lazers, with a 110 brass insert and Blazers and 125 grn heads, have a FOC of 24.41% with plastic nocks. The increase of 14.4 grains from substituting the aluminum nock changed the FOC to 22.18%.
There was no discernible change in point of impact at 30 yards between the arrows with aluminum nocks and those with plastic nocks.
One major difference between the two nocks was noted. The plastic nocks have a very sharp edge at the tips of the wings. It tends ot catch on the anti dryfire mechanism of my Cyclone, preventing the arrow form being seated. I have to rotate the arrow slightly to caue it to slip past to engage the string. (On one occasion I was stitting in the stand when I happened to notice that the arrow was not engaged. It would have resulted in a no-fire - at least. Or, worse, a dryfire?) The arrows with aluminum moon nocks cause no such problems.
In conclusion, I am very favorably impressed by these nocks and plan to purchase some when the are available.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM

Default RE: Aluminum moon nocks

Everyone here must be happy with plastic nocks unless they are all shooting Excals

Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Moonkryket

Everyone here must be happy with plastic nocks unless they are all shooting Excals

A lot of us are. Gotta say though, those alum nocks are sweet! Plastic and xbows don't mix in my book. Be it triggers or nocks or anything in between.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

The aluminum niocks that Wyvern is manufacturing is on of the best things that has happened for arrowsin a real long time. Those that shoot Parker, BowTech or Horton or other crossbows that require moon nocks should be estatic that there is finally a strong, precision made mon nock available.

My DS like them almost more that I do.