Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 uneven fletching >

uneven fletching

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

uneven fletching

Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Spike

Default uneven fletching

I dont have access to a fletching jig, so my (helical) vanes are not glued perfectly in all respects: the vain may not be straight, the vanes may not be spaced evenly around the shaft, and their offset may not be identical.

Dont get me wrong. It's NOT a total mess, but the flaws are big enough to be visible.

How much do you expect such flaws will effect accuracy?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: uneven fletching

depends how far you shoot, now don't take this wrong but how did you put a helical fletch on without a jig ? or did you run a slight offset front to back ? the offset works well. hint on spacing take a flex tape and measure shaft circumfrence then divide by 3 and should be able to mark shafts 3 marks for vanes/feathers
Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen some really bad fltching jobs(I have had my ugly before)but all you need to do is try em and if they shoot well dont worry about it we are not out there for a fasion statement,well Iam not anyway.....
Its like building your own house and living in it,you notice the flaws but others dont unless you point them out.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

As sph says, I don't think uneven fletching makes much difference...at least within the 20 yard or so distance.
When I bought my fletching tool, I didn't realize they had a crossbow nock fixture. So while I was experimenting with modifying the one I had to work...I was pealing off more than a few vanes because they were "not" 120 degrees apart!

Hmmm....I wonder if this really matters?
So I made a few up from a little off to way off the "ideal" 120 degree spread.
My findings....within my little 18 to 20 yard range...it doesn't matter at all. While my experiments were not with the same exact single arrow...it was with the same arrow material, same field tip and the same new Bohning Blazer vanes. Some old Easton 2219, gold anodized arrow shafts...don't even remember what bow I was originally shooting them with.
The fixture I used is a right hand helical.

I do think each vane needs to be as parallel to the other as possible, other wise, the air will be directed one way on one vane, another way on the other vane and possibly "another" direction on the third vane.
This 'will' throw the arrow off tragectory.
How much...depends on how far off each vane is how far you are shooting, and the air density you are shooting at...that is "sea level" or Colorado, a humid day or a very dry day.

If you are looking for consistancy and accuracy...your best bet...save your money and get a fletching jig.

Mike