Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First Crossbow

Old 05-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Crossbow

I would go with an Excalibur Phoenix. You can find it for around $400 for the bow alone. Around $500 for the package. This is for a new one. If you can find a good used one that would be okay too. Since the warranty and customer service is so good. I bought a Vortex with the big package Varizone scope etc. for $550 on Ebay. This close to a thousand dollar setup. It had only been shot a couple times. The guy needed money bad. So I would check Ebay out and see what you can find. But I wouldon buying a crossbowtill I could get the money for a Pheonix. Either new or used. In the long run I guarantee you will be most happy with that choice. If you get a compund you need a bow press or a shop to do any little thing that comes up. There is also alot moreof moving parts that can possibly wear out or mess up. Also, compounds are generallymore front heavy and not as well balanced (imo) .An Excalibur crossbowhas a recurve style bow. You can do all of your own mantainance with a bow stringer. I had a Horton HD175 for my first xbow. It was a nice and accurate bow but my new Vortex is even more nice and accurate. And I can do all my own string changes etc. without having to use a press, rig something up, or take it to a shop that costs more money. If you get the Excal it will pay for itself in the cost difference in shop time alone. Unless you already own or plan on buying a press that works on crossbows. There are ways to restring a compound rigging up a rope wood blocks and such. But I would not recommend doing it unless you really know what you are doing. I didn't try it. I upgraded to the Excalibur. I hope this helps you out and saves you the hassle of having to findeverything out the harder more expensive way. I wouldn't give you bad info.

Chris
Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

Why is itthat you think a compound CB has to go to the shop all the time. I've owned compound cb's and vertical bows for a long, long time and never had to take one to a bow shop. Never had a problems.

Telling people that they NEED to buy a recurve CB rather than a compound CB because a compound needs to go to the shop for every little think is pure hogwash.
Compounds are just as accurate as recurves. Most compound CB's are faster than recurves. Changing a string is easier to do on a recurve but you can also change the string on a comound without taking to the shop!
Now days all GOOD crossbows from the top manufacturers are virtuallymaintainence free, other than normal stuff like waxing the string. lubricating the rail/barrel and keeping the trigger free of derbis and lubricating it.
Price difference between the two is very small. A recurve CB is wider and harder to manuver around to shoot in a lot of instances. Saying that you will save money on maintainance is crap. If you need to be taking a compound CB to the bow shop all the time you sure as hell aren't taking care of it nor using it properly.

This telling people to stay away from compound CB because of maintainence is just BULLSHIETE!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easy there feller!!! I have nothing against compounds. I am just saying if you need to change a string etc. WHICH YOU WILL.. They charge at bowshops when you take your bow in. I don't know what your problem is blowing up like that. I was just trying to help the guy out... But you obviously you have a big one... as well as big mouth!

Chris
Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

A big mouth?? WTF is your problem?? The truth must hurt!! You're telling people "If you get a compund you need a bow press or a shop to do any little thing that comes up."
"If you get the Excal it will pay for itself in the cost difference in shop time alone. Unless you already own or plan on buying a press that works on crossbows."

I merely posted that what you said is bull shiete! You're trying to tell peole not to buy a compound because of all the maintainence. Like I said beofre that's BULL SHIETE!!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 PM

allright allright i dont really have 400 dollars to spend on one but i need somemore advice on some
Old 05-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess that's your opinion then...we'll see what other's have to say about it. But don't come back on me asking me "wtf is my problem?" YOU ARE THE ONE THAT BLEW UP.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 PM

wow
are hortons and barnetts any good?
here isa barnett that looks pretty cool
http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/recu...s/panzer_v.asp
here is the hortons i was looking at
http://www.crossbow.com/tacomabyhortontrac150
http://www.crossbow.com/summithd2

tell me what you think about these xbows plesae
thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Barnetts are not a very good crossbow to consider They have had lots of problems for years. Most everyone stays away from them. They have come out with some new models but haven't proven them nor gotten rid of their lousy reputation.. Horton makes a decent crossbow. Their mid to high end models are pretty good. If you're really limited on the mount of funds you have to spend , you can most likely find a good used Ten Point of Excal. Wyvern may have some new demo's still available You could POSSIBLY get a new 2007 model bow and stay within your budget. When you get serious about buying one, give David a call and he will work with you to get you the best now for your $$$$!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:16 PM

what was his number again?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Wyvern Creations: David 603-659-0575

Quick Reply: First Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.