HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Crossbow
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Buckhunter46755
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Crossbow

I would go with an Excalibur Phoenix. You can find it for around $400 for the bow alone. Around $500 for the package. This is for a new one. If you can find a good used one that would be okay too. Since the warranty and customer service is so good. I bought a Vortex with the big package Varizone scope etc. for $550 on Ebay. This close to a thousand dollar setup. It had only been shot a couple times. The guy needed money bad. So I would check Ebay out and see what you can find. But I wouldon buying a crossbowtill I could get the money for a Pheonix. Either new or used. In the long run I guarantee you will be most happy with that choice. If you get a compund you need a bow press or a shop to do any little thing that comes up. There is also alot moreof moving parts that can possibly wear out or mess up. Also, compounds are generallymore front heavy and not as well balanced (imo) .An Excalibur crossbowhas a recurve style bow. You can do all of your own mantainance with a bow stringer. I had a Horton HD175 for my first xbow. It was a nice and accurate bow but my new Vortex is even more nice and accurate. And I can do all my own string changes etc. without having to use a press, rig something up, or take it to a shop that costs more money. If you get the Excal it will pay for itself in the cost difference in shop time alone. Unless you already own or plan on buying a press that works on crossbows. There are ways to restring a compound rigging up a rope wood blocks and such. But I would not recommend doing it unless you really know what you are doing. I didn't try it. I upgraded to the Excalibur. I hope this helps you out and saves you the hassle of having to findeverything out the harder more expensive way. I wouldn't give you bad info.

Chris