Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First Crossbow

Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default First Crossbow

Hi,

I am looking at buying my first Crossbow. I am wanting to stay in the $300 range, I will be using it mainly for hunting hogs here in Texas. I have narrowed it down to three choices and each seems to have the items I want so I thought I would ask for your input.
The three are:
1.) PSE Copperhead
2.) Barnett Wildcat
3.) Barnett Quad 400 150#

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jake
Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default RE: First Crossbow

You probably won't like my input but here it is. I would not buy any of those you mentioned. Do yourself a BIG favor and make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations: 603-659-0575. He can give some guidance and honest advice on what to buy.
You can get far better CB's than those you mentioned and stay close to your budgeted amount. Last thing you want to do is buy a crossbow soley based on cost. I guarentee you would regret it in no time at all.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the Griz on your choices. Definitely at the bottom of the quality order. Do yourself a favor and have a look at an Excalibur Phoenix or the like. Quality bow, minimum of a maintenance required-you can do yourself, without a bow press-with a lifetime warranty to boot.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

[] I had a Quad 400 blow up literally in my face. I could not get smaller than 3" groups at 20 yds w/ it to boot. If you are bound and detrmined w/ the $300 limit, get the PSE, but as others have pointed out, a little more loot will go a long way, lol. I just got back from doing some longer range target shooting preparing for a match and was getting 1.5" groups at 50 yds from a bench rest w/ an Excal setup. Far better accuracy than is needed for hunting, but I like to compete in matches.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Horton Explorer 150. Great buy, compact bow and awesome accuracy out to thirty yards. I wasn't comfortable enough to shoot out to 40 with it.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cossack

I agree with the Griz on your choices. Definitely at the bottom of the quality order. Do yourself a favor and have a look at an Excalibur Phoenix or the like. Quality bow, minimum of a maintenance required-you can do yourself, without a bow press-with a lifetime warranty to boot.
This is true. My first Xbow was a Horton so maintenance was kinda a pain. Now I have a Excal Vortex and life is so much better! lol..

chris
Old 05-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Did you look at the Excalibur's? It seems like what I found was everyone had great things tosay about them so I bought oneand it has been a great bow and lots of fun (had not hunting with it yet but have lots of bolts in trees).
Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: DaGriz

You probably won't like my input but here it is. I would not buy any of those you mentioned. Do yourself a BIG favor and make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations: 603-659-0575. He can give some guidance and honest advice on what to buy.
You can get far better CB's than those you mentioned and stay close to your budgeted amount. Last thing you want to do is buy a crossbow soley based on cost. I guarentee you would regret it in no time at all.
what crossbow would YOU reccommend though????? in that general price range? because im looking at a crossbow or a bow that is in that near price range for hunting deer
Old 05-26-2008, 01:51 PM

what crossbow would YOU reccommend though????? in that general price range? because im looking at a crossbow or a bow that is in that near price range for hunting deer
Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM

anybody?

Quick Reply: First Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.