Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Unique Challenges >

Unique Challenges

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Unique Challenges

Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Default RE: Unique Challenges

ORIGINAL: RockinChair
I think of crossbows being heavier, louder, more bulky and difficult to carry, and a a majority of the time you are limited to one shot due to the time it takes to re-cock.
Them are the big ones, but a few I can add are similar.

With a CB there are plenty of us who have been excited and had a near death experience with the loss of there thumb. This happened to me once on a hunting trip and I was certain my thumb had been cut clean off, then thenext day when I could actually feel it I new all was ok!

I would say you are limited to one shot for the noise factor. Most CB's are way to load to ever even consider a second shot. I have a couple of friends that tell me every year they get second shots with there compounds.

Another is I have only had one stand that I could recock in. All of my other ladder stands are way to small to cock in, would be way to hard to try and do, plus unsafe.

No long range hunting IMO. I know a CB is way to loud to do much good past 30 to 35 yards for me and my set up. Some vertical bows that are well tuned can take longer range shots since it dose not sound like smacking a ruler on a table much like a CB can. So when you shoot your CB, its much like blowing the horn on a hunt, thats why tree rats get the pass most of the time when I hunt.

Could be more, but hope this is what you where looking for with your post.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

The "compound bow" hunter dont believe all that crap they put out they couldnt be that stupid and still learn to shoot. It boils down to trying to keep as many hunters out of the woods as they can so they dont have any compitition. Back a few years I hunted with a long bow and got several deer a year and one of those compound bow hunters tried to tell me I had an unfair advantage because I did not have all that mechamical junk on my bow, come to find out he had been hunting deer for 6 years and never had a shot.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: RockinChair
I think of crossbows being heavier, louder, more bulky and difficult to carry, and a a majority of the time you are limited to one shot due to the time it takes to re-cock.

With a CB there are plenty of us who have been excited and had a near death experience with the loss of there thumb. This happened to me once on a hunting trip and I was certain my thumb had been cut clean off, then thenext day when I could actually feel it I new all was ok!
Good post Hotburn. I was just going to add that Crossbows are more dangerous than vertical bows and your example is a prime example.. all it takes is a little carelessness and it could be disatrous.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is another but big thing with shooting CB's. They're hard to keep still for off hand shots. the weaker your upper body strength the harder they're to control for accuracy
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

here is another but big thing with shooting CB's. They're hard to keep still for off hand shots. the weaker your upper body strength the harder they're to control for accuracy
Another good post. My brother and I play B.U.C.K quite often and I shoot free hand standing up cause he says that makes it fair. Hardly. Crossbows are not intended to be shot standing up free hand.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows are not intended to be shot standing up free hand.
where did you come up w/ this notion? I shoot mine alot and have no problem free handing groups at 30 yds the size of a snuff can [2 1/2"]. All of the xbow 3-D competitons make your views further false. Now, that being said, in a hunting situation if I can rest my xbow I will.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Crossbows are not intended to be shot standing up free hand.
where did you come up w/ this notion? I shoot mine alot and have no problem free handing groups at 30 yds the size of a snuff can [2 1/2"]. All of the xbow 3-D competitons make your views further false. Now, that being said, in a hunting situation if I can rest my xbow I will.
I do too. As I mentioned before when I play B.U.C.K with my brother (he shoots a compound) I shoot free hand standing up because it will greatly improve my shooting and adds another dimension I may face when hunting. What I implied by 'crossbows are not meant to be shot standing up free hand' was more so in hunting situations. The more solid you are able to shoulder your bow and the stronger base you have the more accurate your shot will be. Crossbows are heavy and bulky and meant to be shot with in a sturdy shoulder and with strong support.

Also.. I apolozige for my ignorance but I have never actually seen a 3D crossbow contest so I wouldn't have any knowledge of how they were done. I was just wondering the other day how they went actually. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:42 PM

A bow is easier to transport and store. It's easier to get around in the woods. I have not hunted or shot a lot of bows but I would have to say a bow whould be harder to aim them a cross bow wtih a rifle sight.