Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What challenges do you face in your area? >

What challenges do you face in your area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What challenges do you face in your area?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What challenges do you face in your area?

We all know not every location is created equal. So what challenges present themselves to you in your hunting areas?

Hunting area 1- This property is either field or thick bedding area. There are very little transitional areas, and it needs to be treaded on lightly to keep from always bumping deer. It’s got decent browse and some acorns. Crop fields aren’t very near to it. Pressure on this and surrounding area is HUGE in gun season, but not real bad in archery.

Hunting area 2- this property is set up with horrible access. The wind is almost always wrong to approach the better hunting spots. It is also impacted a little more often by non-hunter activity. There are little to no crops nearby, but it has a few acorns and some VERY thick bedding areas. Pressure on this property is odd. There are stands hanging every 50 yds, but rarely do I see others while archery hunting. Gun season it is hammered, but the stands are still rarely occupied.

In general, lands that I hunt are just small pieces of the puzzle as far as food/shelter and everything that a deer needs to live. They can be here today and 3 properties away tomorrow. Overall hunting pressure is high, but so are deer numbers. Older bucks are rarely seen and nocturnal, but can be found during the rut.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What challenges do you face in your area?

In my area it would have to be other hunters[:@] I will leave it at that.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Problem 1) having stand sites for all wind directions and time of day hunts.

Problem 2) overpopulation of deer (yes....this is a problem)
Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Distance from my house........that's about it. My closest hunting spot is a 1.5 hour drive, and my own property is nearly 4 hours.I still get to hunt a LOT, but it is difficult to put in the amount of scouting that I would like to during preseason.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coyotes and trespassers.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spot 1- Not a lot of deer (very few and far between)
Spot 2- I'm 7 miles back off the dirt road, so about 12 miles from the nearest paved road. So if I get hurt, I'm skrewed[]
Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM

I would have to say other hunters.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Alot of the neighboring hunters hunt with the mantra "if its brown...its down". I am starting to get some success with trying to change them, or should I say they have said they will change. I guess we will see this gun hunting season. When I purchased my landone of theneighbors came to talk to me and said that they only shoot "good bucks", well opening morning of the gun season like 5yrs ago I was sitting pretty close the the line between our 2 properties. Here comes a 1.5yr 6pt I let it walk by and it jumps the fence into the neighbors, bout 5-10 secs later BOOM.[:'(] And judging by the last 5 years he was full of *h*t.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Entry and Parking..Where my Farmer wants me to park, Iknow the deer pattern me by my truck. I can park in another spot, not on his property and walk a lot further, but the normal wind makes this risky as my scent would blow into the bedding area.

There are a few other options I can try this year..This is only a problem for 2 stand locations on this farm.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I thought you were gonna say "wheelchair access", GR8.

Quick Reply: What challenges do you face in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.