Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 String wax for rail >

String wax for rail

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

String wax for rail

Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String wax for rail

Hey Darrel, if you use Dalton 200 you won't have to try to slick up your rail. That stuff does not gum up and it is slicker than goose poop!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Spike

Also: a new and ugly question haunt me: Where the %^&* does the wax/lube go? Why do we need to re-wax every few shots? wax is one of the most stable materials. It doesn"t corode or evaporate. So???[/QUOTE]

Thats a good question, never thought about that but now that you mentioned it I really want to find out where it goes/what happens to it. All that wax I have put on my string and cables seems to disappear fast, but where does it go? Maybe the wax is designed to disappear so the manufacturers can sell more of it? I dont think so but you never know when it comes to making money of a product. If anyone can explain it or have a teory about it please share. First one to explain it gets a beer
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cossack
You don't need rail lube, the wax you put on the string is enough (sometimes too much).
Rail lubes attract dirt and grit which only wears the rail and the string. Parker specifically tells you not to
use it.

I have a Parker Tornado, and the paperwork that I received with my bow says to wax the string and lube the barrel/rail after about every 5 shots. This of course is recommended--by Parker--for crossbows that shoot over 300fps. I use the Red Hot wax and lube kit, which is made by Parker, so I'm curious if they "specifically tell you not to use it," why do they make it, and recommend in their manuals to use it?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Spike

I know where the Barnett lube goes! Been there, done that.

Actualy it ends up on the scope lens, your glasses, fingers and then your pants.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I think the wax may shoot off your string, think about it...the string is moving forward very fast and then stops...as physics teaches us objects in motion tend to stay in motion so the string stops and the wax keeps going. It may be a little bit at a time but eventually it would get rid of it. It could be an interesting test to wax your string, put a large piece of paper a few inches in front of your limbs, fire the bow and see what's on the paper? just a thought.