Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 I'M BUYING A EXCALIBUR {PHOENIX}WHAT SHOULD I UPGRADE IN THE PACKAGE? >

I'M BUYING A EXCALIBUR {PHOENIX}WHAT SHOULD I UPGRADE IN THE PACKAGE?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I'M BUYING A EXCALIBUR {PHOENIX}WHAT SHOULD I UPGRADE IN THE PACKAGE?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Default I'M BUYING A EXCALIBUR {PHOENIX}WHAT SHOULD I UPGRADE IN THE PACKAGE?

I KNOW I WANT TO GET THE LUMNI SCOPE,WHAT ABOUT THE FAST FLIGHT STRING?SHOULD I GO WITH A 425 GRAIN WEIGHT BOLTS,100 GRAIN BROAD HEAD AND 325 GRAINS WITH THE BOLT?THE SALESMAN TOLD ME THAT THE NOISE DAMPNERS WHERE A WASTE OF MONEY.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'M BUYING A EXCALIBUR {PHOENIX}WHAT SHOULD I UPGRADE IN THE PACKAGE?

Lumizone of course, a real good addition to any XBow, on mine I have just kept the stock strings, really don't care for the FFL strings on my bow, I shoot 416 grain boltwith 125 Spitfires and 125 Magnus Snuffers. My particular setup has worked real good, it is the weapon of choice for hog hunting now, just due to its KE. I also added a sling of course,and camo cover for the scope this was just my personal preference only.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'M BUYING A EXCALIBUR {PHOENIX}WHAT SHOULD I UPGRADE IN THE PACKAGE?

Carlc,

There are lots of ideas for upgrades to be found on the Excal forum:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php

I am presuming you are getting the right stuff package which includes everyting you need. It will shoot great out of the box. I shoot a heavier arrow (465g) with the FFF string and the heavier arrowsquiet down the noise and vibration. Use the dacron string when you first start. If you make a mistake and have a dryfire it is the most forgiving. They will never be as quiet as a vertical bow. Thats just the nature of the beast.

Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

If you want to quiet your bow buy an STS and serve on some cat whiskers about three inches from the limbs. You will be amazed how much less noise there is. Plus, if served on properly they stay on for hundreds of shots. Your salesman is just parroting what he's been told.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need anything Bud.. I got the package and it seems it has everything it needsto be a deer killing machine. I did upgrade to a fine string and was thinkingon a lumizone.
I did pick up a set of the extra short limbs so it's not like flying a plane thru the brush but youhave a bow that can't be beat. It is sad in a way cause I'm finding trouble thinking of any reason to change.
One of these chuckleheads said he measures penetration on how deep the arrow is in the dirt on the other side of the deer and that sure has been the case for me out to 31 yards which is as far as I have shot or plan on shooting.. Have Fun..
Long arms all over the place and just one good crossbow. Perfect!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

carlc,
Do not be talked into or out of something; by a salesman who is not intimately familar with crossbows. Too many dealers are just that: SALESMEN!! You should really talk to someone who knows, owns , and shoots crossbows. The fine people on this forum will give you good info, for the most part. You can also talk to one of the knowledgeable dealrs who frequent this forum, like Wyvern.
Get as much info as you can before you buy!!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Spike

Hi, I just purchased a Phoenix from Wyvern (great guy , with very good prices) I got the Lumizone scope also. I shot it today for the first time and was VERY impressed. It was shooting great after a minor scope adjustment. I can see why they say with a Excal you better remove the bolt after a shot or you just may ruin your bolt if you shoot again. You are making a very wise choice with the Phoenix. Joe
Old 03-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

BTW, stick to the original string until you know 100% that you will not dryfire the bow.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Personally I would recomend you get a "Boo" String wiht the cat whiskers Very impressive results. and I agree on the STS. The Rite Stuff kit comes with pretty much everything you need. A sling is also a nice addition. If you are going to make up your own kit you have lots of options. What is a nessecity to one person is an option for another, so how and where you hunt will be a consideration in additional equipment. The stringer is a great thing to keep in your pack along with a spare string just incase. I agree to build up a habit of hitting the safety right after it is cocked to reduce dry fires. It is too easy in a rush to forget.

Wyvern

P.S. By the way, thanks guys
Old 03-22-2008, 04:35 PM

If it was me I would get the Boo string also, he is one of the finest custom string makers the CB market has! His string with the cat whiskers served on has been on of the best I have had on my CB. The lumizone is a great addition and you will enjoy it very much if you get it. I use the GT Laser II's, the ones with the brass insert in them and they work great. I think the are 325 and then have a 100 grain tip on them. You will be very happy with your CB!