Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Bought an excalibur phoenix >

Bought an excalibur phoenix

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bought an excalibur phoenix

Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bought an excalibur phoenix

I have been lurking around the x-bow forum as i was interested in getting one. What i picked up over the last several months was if you want simplicity and reliablity get an excalibur. Last night i purchased a NIB Phoenix for 305.00 plus 20.00 s/h. off e-bay. I had been following the prices and felt it was a deal so i bid and to my surpise I won. Ok,first off I am a neophyte with x-bows matter a fact in NYS they are illegal but rumor has it that NJ( I live 10 miles from the border) will legalize them for all bow hunters in 2009 saeson. i have been looking around and realize I need additional equipment for my x-bow. i already have a zeiss-z point red dot scope therefore i am probaly going to get the just right package w/o the varizone scope but realize I have to buy the scope mount too. I aslo need a target so which one should i buy. it appears that for the first year I will be restricted to targets unless i quailfy for a NJ disabled permit for my rt. rotator cuff tear. I would appreciate any input from anyone as i am a brand new x-bow owner. I have done the vertical bow since 1978 but with my rt rotator cuff tear and my vision which makes it difficult to see my pins on my bow i have decided to investigate this other option. I would appreciate any web sites/stores and advice anyone could give to someone starting out with an x-bow.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Bought an excalibur phoenix

You will have a great time with that CB. I used a red dot for a long time and had great success with it. Two things drove me from it after time. The first couple of time you get into stand and realize you did not turn it off the last time you used it is a real bummer. It is totally the operators fault, but still sucked when it happened to me, I think it happened twice. I also wanted to take longer range small game shots and the red dot makes that harder. Most guys that use them and single cross hair scopes set up at 25 yards, your a little high at 15 to 20 and a little low at 30, but all are dead deer. I have been using a block target and it was hard at first, but became better after time, now its getting to loose and this year may be its last. I have made a couple of targets from foam I can get from work and bought a few cheap one from Wal-Mart but the block always did good. A few guys on here have been liking the Rinehart, (spelled wrong?) target with 18 different sides. That may be my next target this spring. Most of Excal guys like the Gold Tip Laser II's arrows. They have a brass front insert and it give the arrow a heavy FOC, which short CB arrows like. Here is a link to the Excal forum, lots of good info in there to.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got a great crossbow at a really good price there!
I use a "bag" target rated for 300fps and field points for target practice with my Phoenix. Not sure of the brand, but I'd say any of them rated for 300fps should be fine.
The red-dot should be fine for practice and hunting if you practice plenty and learn hold over/under at various ranges. As mentioned, sighted in @ 25 yards it should be good for a "dead-on" hold on deer to around 30 yards.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Hey Hotburn76,
I read on another forum where they were putting a rachet style tiedown straparound the targets an tightened them up to a near new state of useability, I think it will take 2 td straps.You might try that out before you buy another. Randy, Aka:sksfordman

p.s. They also said you could tighten the straps on any of the foam type targets, if the bolts/arrow was going in to deep in the target..
just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Morrell Magnum bag target it what I use for field points.....works awsome......
Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guy on AT xbow forum goes by "Moonkrket" swears by that Zeiss Z point, i called Zeiss one day and they referred me to him, lol. Think they are also solar back up. You got a deal on that Phoenix, I have one and use the arras Hotburn described w/ a FFF string from Boo/Dnk. 290 fps. Danny miller has best price on accessories, see sticky at top fpr resources, his price sheet is there. Most guys don't care for the Excal quiver mount that goes under the bow. miller sells an over the bow one. If you go for his and his arrows, the package becomes a waste of $, imho.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

DITTO!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Guy on AT xbow forum goes by "Moonkrket" swears by that Zeiss Z point, i called Zeiss one day and they referred me to him, lol.
I actually bought the zeiss z- point for my ross 337 because of the high praise that "moonkkret" gave for this red dot. After I received the z-point with archery bracket i realized itwould take a lot of time to set it up properly on a vertical bow. IMO it sounds like it would work well on a crossbow which is why i want to use it. it cost me app 300.00 with archery bracket for vertical bow. I kept it since i felt I would eventually own an x-bow so it seemed like a good choice. it also weighs about 4 oz which i thought would be helpful when you consider the weight of a crossbow. I will look into danny miller for the extra's. The phoenix will be here this week but I will take my time in deciding what i really need to make this package complete.thanks for the input. Any other input is appreciated.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You are going to love the Z! I use a Bushnell Halo. These types of systems are very under rated because they are understood even less.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

LIAF,
Is the Z a red dot or is it a holographic type sight? With the red dot the dot appears to be on the lens of the sight when you look through it but with the holographic sight the dot appears to actually be on the target. Not sure how they accomplish the illusion of projecting the dot, but it gives a much better image.
A lot of the cheaper sights you see advertised as holographic are really just plain old red dots. The good holographic sights tend to be expensive.
If you look through a cheaper red dot and a good holographic sight side by side the difference becomes apparent. The higher price suddenly seem worth it.

Quick Reply: Bought an excalibur phoenix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.