Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Looking for calls >

Looking for calls

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Looking for calls

Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Looking for calls

Does anyone have any audio files (MP3) of a predator call (rabbit in distress, mouse squeak)? If so, can I get a copy of it???, Please! If you do have one let me know!

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for calls

http://www.western-rivers.com/downloads.html
Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Wabi, that is perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Bruce
Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The young cottontail distress sounds very realistic and is quite similar to what I try for with a mouth-blown call.
http://www.western-rivers.com/downloads/Cottontail%20Distress%20Young.mp3
I don't know your location, but here a sound similar to it will work well on foxes. I learned the call from a cat. He had captured a young cottontail and was "playing" with it. The rabbit would emit a series of screams then slowly calm down and be quiet. After a minute the cat would release & re-capture the rabbit and it would repeat. I sat back and listened carefully, the a couple days later took a mouth-blown call and headed for the woods. I tried to copy the sounds as best I could and had a red fox almost run over top of me within a couple of minutes! Keep the series of screams short (30 seconds to a minute) and put all the distress, fear, and agony you can into the sound at plenty of volume.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM

How long do you guys set up and hunt when you go? I asked the question in the predator forum, but none is interested in helping in there I guess. But me and dad just bought a electronic call with a thing that looks like a chipmunk on it that spins. When we set up to hunt yotes how long do we hunt one spot before moving on? What are the best times to do it at? We are really not interested in night hunting, but would if we had to.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I preferto huntright at or shortly aftersunset.I figure most predators are nocturnal and at that time of day they have gone a few hours without food so they will be more willing to respond.Right after dark is a good time if night hunting is legal. If night hunting I like a low powered red light (2 cell flashlight w/red lens) for spotting eyes, and a bright spotlight for the actual shot (you have to shoot quickly, they will usually be "stunned" by the bright light for a few seconds, thenrecover and run). I don't have any real experience with coyotes (but hope to before this winter is over) but with a fox usually they will respond within just a few minutes. If nothing shows up after 15-20 minutes I usually move on.