Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Arrow Question

Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow Question

Just a quick question. I am planning on getting in to building my own arrows/refletching old owns this winter. I know you can buy shafts with nocks already in them. Can youuse the same (carbon) shafts for my compound and crossbow? I know they would have to be cut done to 20". If so, how do you get the nocks out and where can you buy nocks for crossbows? Any info will definitly be helpfull. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Question

I purchased raw shafts, nocks and inserts then assembled, that way I got the components I wanted.
I don't do verticals any more but it seems to me that the carbon bolts I buy have larger diameter and thicker walls than vertical bow arrows. I'm guessing that the pull weight of your x bow may be a factor. If it's relatively light, then perhaps thick walled carbon arrows will do. Personally, I'm not about to take tht chance when using a 200 lb pull weight x bow. The picture of a splintered arrow protruding from someones hand/wrist prevents me from taking such chances.
There's a lot of folks that will help you here no doubt. Just keep asking what you want to know. Also check out the post about "rolling your own" below.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

P.S. To get nocks out I use a heat gun (kind used for stripping paint) set on low. Gently heat back of bolt while rotating it until glue loosens ( I look for fumes coming out, like light steam) then pull out nock with pliers. Easy does it, don't overheat so as to burn carbon.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 PM

You can use a longer arrow and cut it down for a CB with no problem. Three things you need to remember though. One is you have to make sure you keep your total arrow weight up as to not damage your CB with a dry fire affect. Second is most CB's take a extremely stiff arrow, some of the Vertical crowd carbon arrows have a low spine and you can have stability problems. Lastly the diameter has to be the right size or the arrow will sit to low or high in your rail and you can have string jump issues. That is where the string hoops over or under the arrow as it is shot, not a good deal! So it can be done, them are just some of the biggies that come to mind.