Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

NEW ?????????

Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 PM

Default NEW ?????????

New to crossbow shooting, first time on this forum, need lots of help.
I started shooting and hunting with a re curve bow in the sixty's, my first compound was an Allen.

A friend gave me an old Horton Stag crossbow, witch I plan to hunt with next year. I made a front site for it and bought a new string and put it on. I have 2216 bolts with 5" vanes that need to be shortened to 17".

#1 What broad head would you recommend for this bow?
#2 How do you let the tension off the string after hunting, with out shooting it?
#3 I was told by Horton that I should shoot feathers instead of vanes, what do you think.

Thanks for the help, I know there will be more questions to come
Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEW ?????????

I don't know anything about that model. I don't understand why you would want to cut your arrows down to 17", the 20" will be more accurate usually. Also, have never heard of needing feathers vs vanes, both should work. If you can use a rope cocker to cock it, you can use it to safely uncock it or else fire a junk arrow into the ground or target. Rope cockers center the string every shot, if you don't use one you might want to mark the string on each side of the rail when it's at rest [uncocked but strung] I like Slick Tricks 100gr but if they don't shoot for you would guess a mechanical would. good luck!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Definitely carry a bolt with ajudo point and just shoot the thing rather than trying to let down. Saves you the strain and gives you that extra little bit of practice if you pick a specific target, like leaf on the groundor something like that, to shoot for.

Feathers vs vanes... I'dbe inclined to follow Horton's recommendation, but thenI'm kinda retro so Iprefer feathers anyway. Try both and find out which works best.

Broadheads - Bear Razorheads, Magnus Stingers,Muzzy, Thunderhead, SlickTricks... Any good quality headwould work but you would likely find that some are probably more accurate than others from your setup. Even crossbows have their preferences.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check the laws before you cut any arrows down some ststes hve length requirements, and as awshuckssays they normally are more accurate with 20 inch arrows. Lee
Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found the following to contribute to x bow accuracy:
1. High FOC (forward of center) rating. I installed 110 gr brass inserts in stead of the 42 grain aluminum stock inserts. Also replaced the 5" vanes with 2" Blazers. Then, used lacquer in stead of wraps to increase visability and make vane application and removal easier. omitting wraps or lighted nocks also keeps the weight down at the back of the arrow which increases FOC.
2. Smaller broadheads, especially 4 bladed if fixed, fly more consistently than larger heads. It took me two missed bucks to find out that larger heads steer the arrow, esp when using smallish vanes and low FOC. Slick Tricks mags. work great in my application.
3. Cocking with string puller aid keeps serving centered, giving greater shot to shot consistency.
4. Good release follow through. Even tho x bow looks like a gun (to some) they shoots like a bow. Not jerking the trigger, holding stock steady during release is all important to accuracy.
5. Gear maintenance: brace hight, waxing string prior to use, keeping screws tight, careful handling of scope, etc.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:12 PM

Well I shot it today and I am hooked. I have kept the bolts at 20" with the veins and shot 135 Gr. field points that I used with my compound bow. After sighting it in for 20 Yds. Most of my shots were inside a 2" circle.

Thank you for all the good information. Oldsnow
Old 12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ARROWS..........................
[hr]

Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I don't know anything about that model. I don't understand why you would want to cut your arrows down to 17", the 20" will be more accurate usually.
Most of Horton's older CB's had a real short power stroke on them. The 20" will work fine and like you say even better. The problem is you have several inches of arrow sticking out way past the front of the CB. So the 17" arrows were alot better for walking around and not getting caught onto stuff.

Muzzys always did great on my old super mag, killed lots of deer with them. The G5 Montech's did good also on the target, but then the entire quiver and arrows where left on the truck one night for the ride home to never make it so they never drew blood.