Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Excalibur Vortex Report from a Newbie >

Excalibur Vortex Report from a Newbie

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur Vortex Report from a Newbie

Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Excalibur Vortex Report from a Newbie

I am a newbie to crossbows (CB) and bows as far as that goes. I logged on to this site, read some posts and went out and bought an Excalibur Vortex crossbow. Hereare myfindings and experiences so far:

First, the Excalibur instructions are clear and easy to follow. That is if you follow the DVD which was included. It did not take me long to have the bow assembled. Two things I found as a must for the beginner and in my opinion everyone else; Make sure you purchased a string aid and rope cocking aid. I tried string and cocking without them. Not worth the fingers getting smashed, the grunting and pain. These items are money well spent.
After assembling the CB, I put on the scope. I have to say my experience with the Excalibur scope rings was not good. The screws seemed to be cheaply made and I had a lot of trouble keeping the supplied wrench in the slots. They striped a little and had metal come off. I hate to think someday I may have to try and take them out.

Once the scope was mounted (a Luma-Zone), I waxed up the string as per the DVDand put a bolt over my Chrono shooting at ablock type CBtarget. I was using Gold Tip G1 Laser II type bolts. I think they are 7.3 grains and 20" but not sure. They flew straight and hit about 8" high of the bull’s-eye (10 yards). Speed was 315 fps (using a bolt with practice tip). I shot next at 20 yards with the bolt hitting real close to the bulls-eye and again hitting 315 fps. With a few adjustments I was hitting nice groups in the bull-eye at 20 yards. I did have a lot of trouble getting the bolts out of my target. I had to grab on to the area where the feathers were and wiggle and pull hard to get the arrows out. The reason for grabbing the feathers, that was all that was sticking out! I guess an arrow puller is next on the list.

That’s it for now. Next will be longer shots at the range on Saturday to further learn the bow and adjust the scope. Then switch to the 4 edge razor tips I bought. Once I dial those in, I’ll be walking down blood trails .

Special thanks to Pydpiper and Awshucks. They helped answer questions and gave solid advice.

Safety Off
Old 12-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excalibur Vortex Report from a Newbie

Sounds good so far.
Use silicone or furniture polish on the shafts to make them easier to remove but they will go into the target a bit deeper. If the arrows burry as deep as the flethchings I would get a different target or shoot from furhter away.
I agree with your comments about the rings but they work if you don't over tighten them. After having said that I've stripped everyone I've laid my hands on. I use Weaver detachable on all my scopes except my Freedom Arms.
You made a great choice, have fun!
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Wow, finding out some bow people don't care to much about Crossbows or users? I went to a few local bow shops to see if I could find a bolt puller. No success. So, I made one in about 5 minutes.

Easy here is how: cut a 1 ½" wood dowel about 4" long. Drill a hole in it the size of the rope you intend to use. Put the rope threw the hole and tie and knot in one end. On the other end, back splice a loop and put a small carabineer on it. I found the size screw that fits the arrows thread just behind the feathers. I put a little piece of metal with two holes on the screw and locked it down. One hole for the carabineer and one for the screw which passed threw it and goes in the arrow/bolt.

I shoot the bolt into the target, go over to it, screw in the screw with the metal then clip the carabineer with rope and wood handle. The bolt pulls right out.

I have pictures but can’t figure out how to get them in my post???? What do I do with a "Script Window?" Can't I just insert pictures in the post?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM

I recently damaged my target block popping the straps that hold it together(long story). I bought a small ratchet strap tie-down and put it on the target. I must have cinched it up pretty tight, because the bolts don't penetrate as far as they did before. Turned out to be an upgrade.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Safety off, be careful with that technique.. The nocks are fairly easy to pull out. The pliers that awshucks posted are pretty much the best thing out there for yanking on arrows, nice uniform pressure on the arrow and they always come out.
I tried the Excalibur tool that works like yours, pulled out a few nocks and gave up on it.. The idea is a great one, it is the glue that is a weakness.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 AM

My test today went great. I took a lot of pictures but still can't figure out how to get them in my post. Here goes my test. First, I set up on a rifle shooting bench and shot most shots stationary with sand bags. I put the crossbow target out to 20 yards and zero'ed in at that range. My first find is DON'T shoot many bolts at the same spot, I wasusing three shots like I do a rifle before I adjust. However, the bolts were all going in the same spot. By the time my last bolt hit, it would slide right by the other two buying itselt deep in the target past the feathers. Pulling it out damaged the feathers.

I was using the Luma Zone scope. I guess I don't understand it. Iused 20 yards as the center cross hair and they all hit bulls-eyes. If I shot them together, all arrows touched. I moved out to 30 yards and used the 2nd notch on the scope. However, all bolts went 5" higher then the bulls-eye. If I used the 20 yard center mark at 30 yards the boltss went 3 1/3" low. I had to guess to make them hit.

At 40 yards I used the 2nd notch and they hit dead center bulls-eye.

At 50 yards I used the 3 notch and to my surpize they kept hitting sold black. Wind start picking up so I quit the tests.

The only problem I had and again,see pictures - the string was getting beat up hitting the place wear the Iron Sight would go. It frayed the string pretty good. It seems like the edge where you sile on the iron sight needs to be smoothed out or some sort of caps to protect form damaging string when not using the iron sights is in order.I waxed the strings as per the DVD but they string is still frayed pretty good.

Question, is it dangerous to keep using the frayed string or do I have to replace it. I only have about 30 to 40 shots on the bow.

Lastly, does crossbows get trigger jobs? This trigger breaks fairly clean but the travel is a bit grindy and long.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Figured out pictures hear are a few:

Old 12-23-2007, 12:37 AM

Only lets you put one picture per post - This is 50 yards with one on bench and other free hand.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Set up shot

Old 12-23-2007, 12:46 AM

My bolt puller

Quick Reply: Excalibur Vortex Report from a Newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.