Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 sighting in crossbow >

sighting in crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

sighting in crossbow

Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Spike

Default sighting in crossbow

I have a Horton Summit 150 crossbow with a Truglo 4x32 scope. I am not very good with scopes but I'm having problems sighting the crossbow in. I'd like to sight it in at 25 yards and then compensate arrow drop for further distances. I am unsure on using the two knobs and turning the little clicks to move the scope. I'm sure it's common sense but I've been playing with it and still find my arrows fly low and to the left. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 PM

Default RE: sighting in crossbow

Not to many guys on here that use TruGlo scopes so I can not help with it, but like AWSHUCKS said in one of your other post that most scopes are 1/4" at 100 yards, so that is at least 1/16" at 25 yards, so you need alot of clicks when making adjustments sometimes.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 AM

I am still waiting for my full package to arrive so I can start my sight-in process. The crossbow came but not the scope, string, bolts, etc (shipping mix up). However, sighting in and shooting with a scope is an art that takes trigger time to get good. In rifle or pistol shooting, when somone is shooting left - low, it typically means you have too much finger in the trigger area (over lapping the trigger). When you pull the trigger, it makes you pull left and down. Try putting the pad of your finger on the trigger and squeeze slowly. Try and keep an even squeeze. See if this helps. Also,try supporting the crossbow for a few shots and see where your group goes. If good, then you verified you are pulling off the target. How is the trigger pull? Does it feel hard? If so, that is another source of pulling off the target. Most of my sniper type rifle have a 1 pound trigger pull. That helps stop movement. Your scope adjustment turits should have arrows pointing in the direction to move the cross hairs. If you are shooting left, measure how much your off from the bulls eye? Look up you scope data and see how much a click moves the POI at 25 yards. Once you know that - shoot at least 3bols to see where your group is. Say it's 4" toLEFT and your scopemoves 1/4" at 25 yards. You wouldneed to move 16 clicks RIGHT. Remember, always shoot at least 3 arrows to make sure you are not moving around.More is even better. DON"T ADJUST AFTER ONE SHOT. You will wind up chasing all around the target.

I think you will find the more you shoot, the more you will know your bow's action and where it shoots. Good luck - Good shooting/hunting.
Safety Off
Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

And by the way use field points to sight in the bow. Once it's on switch to broadheads not only to see if they fly to the same point of aim but if each head flies the same. When I started shooting Thunderheads each head would fly to a different point of impact. Switched to smaller, more compact head (Slick Tricks) and my problems ended.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 AM

I use a TruGlo and adjusting it was not that bad. It does take a lot of clicks when sighting in at 25 yards. It takes about 16 or so clicks to move an inch at 25 yrds. I worked on left to right adjustments first and then dialed it in on up an down . Make sure your bolts are true and not bent, I had one bent and it flew right. Pay attention to the arrows under caps which give you direction. If you still have trouble contact truglo.