Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Got my first deer! A buck >

Got my first deer! A buck

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Got my first deer! A buck

Old 11-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got my first deer! A buck

Went out hunting yesterday afternoon and decided to try a different spot than usual. The bush I hunt is on a large embankment over a river, I found a spot where there were fresh trails leading from the main deer trail at the top of the cliff and lead down to the river. I climbed the steep hill and dug a little hole to situate myself in without sliding down 50 yards to the bottom. My thought was that the deer would come down from my back andI would get them going by me, didn't work like that though.
About a half hour before it started getting dark I did my final series of calling, as I watched a whole bunch of turkeys fly from the far side of the river to my side to roost. I heard a wheeze and readied myself, I seen him walking across the river towards me 85 yards out, hit the bank 50 yards down and started walking the other way. One quick bleat and I lost track of him, thought he was gone for good.In a few minutes he popped up in a washout 20 yards away walking straight towards me, then disappeared into the washout and popped up right beside me, I was so ready! When he got closer he turned and gave me a perfect broadside and I took it. He hopped across to the next washout (15 yards away) and turned around to look at me, I thought I had somehow missed him. He crumpled, just fell over and rolled down almost to the bottom. Found him there dead.
I went back this morning to locate a lost flashlight and the broken arrow I pulled from his chest cavity and measured where he was, I hit the deer at 9', sitting on a gravel hill with no cover.
My father in law came down to help me drag it down the river and taught me how to prep it. He is a small buck, but mine all the same.
That was one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had.
A big thanks to those who had me ready for that moment, you know who you are.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my first deer! A buck

BigCongrats....
Old 11-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Inactive

Conrats !! It is the one you will always remember!! Any pics ??
Old 11-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good for you.congrats!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats David!! Knew you would!!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Atta boy David! Isn't it fun on the ground hunting sometimes. I don't do it anymore but I remember one time it was sooo windy I couldn't stay in my lockon stand without holding on for dear life so I came down and lay on my back on a slight hill with my feet downhill a bit and covered myself up with leaves. In about 10 minutes I had deer almost stepping on me. I was scared to death. I missed a buck that day but will always remember it. It sounds like you did everything just right and got your buck. Congrats and keep em coming.
BBO
Old 11-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Congrats on your first Deer and a buck at that. May it be the first of many more. Its the one you'll remember the most.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Thats top notch David!! Glad you where able to connect and harvest the buck!! Welcome to the club!!! Any pics?

The first deer I ever shot was a button buck. I was sitting on a five gallon bucket in a tree line and a small group of deer had came down the tree line and where passing by me when I realized one was in the tree line and when he came to me he realized I was in his way and needed to walk around me. he was within five feet I bet! One of my best hunts ever!!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats good going.

Martin
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

WTG David........Good Job.......Congrat's