Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old! >

My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Inactive

Default RE: My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Congrats to the young hunter - and to his pappy !! The time and energy paid off for you both - keep it up !!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM

This is a great site hands down IMO. I was wanting to ask, but forgot. You mentioned you borrowed your dads for your sons hunt, do you also have a CB for you? Or do you long bow or compound bow hunt? Just curios on your back ground with hunting. Once you start using a CB you realize how much fun it is. I own three know and love it! I love the Walleye fishing in the river, but never go on Saturdays! That is disaster in progress!! You would not think that many guys could stand that close in a river and fish and not kill each other in the process! The only thing that I think keeps people from fighting is focusing on the current and trying not to lose there balance, at least that is what works for me!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Spike

Wasa compound user fora long time... in '05 my Dad left his crossbow in the barn after a hunt. I grabbed it one night as I was seeing deer in an area whereI didn't have a treestand set-up. I was hooked. Bagged 8 points in '05 and '06 right on our farm. He told me as long as I didn't sell it, keep using it. (Horton EXP) Last summer he bought Horton Legend SL for cheap because it had stripped out limb screws. (someone tried to take it apart w/out taking pressure off the limbs) We took it to the local bow shop and for < $20 the guy got it back in business. He was all excited, but he's having trouble cocking it. I sighted that in for my son and I.
He took back the EXP and I'll be buying this Legend SL. I really had my heart set on a new Excaliber, but then I shot a new Tenpoint down at the Deerasic Classic near Cambridge... wow! I'm not financially broke or anything like that, but with 3 kids and my wife staying home to raise them, it doesn't make any sense for me to spend that kind of cash if I've got this Horton that will hit a pop can at 30 yards...

This might sound silly but I've got an 8 points with shotgun, compound, muzzleloader, and crossbow (X2). I always thought I'd like to take 2 more 8 points... one w/ handgun and one w/ longbow. Then I could always say I got with every weapon Ohio allows for deer hunting. This darn crossbow is so efficient and fun, those goals might never be reached! The guys at work are all hardcore compound users, they all give me crap about "cheating" with the crossbow... and it doens't bother me a bit. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Happy Pappy

I really appreciate all the posts guys... I sat my son down today after school and read them all to him. He was all ears and all smiles! I tell you what, the internet sure makes this world a small place... you can sure "meet" some friendly, polite folks on these different websites!
I would have to agree with you.... all the advice and helpfull topics as well as the willingness to share experiences either good or bad .... great site.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Happy Pappy
He was all excited, but he's having trouble cocking it. I sighted that in for my son and I.
Horton makes a new cocking rope just like Excal's. They used to have one that wasa strap style that worked, never tried it, but it looked awkward. Then they came out with one just like Excal's version. But if you or your dad want to try it you should get the one by Horton, not Excal. The Excal's will work on a Horton, but can hit the Dial-A-Range or safety while cocking. Horton's new one has tabs on it and a spacer on the back that keeps the hooks from hitting the Safety and D-A-R as you use it. Wal-Mart sells it for 23 bucks I think and glad I got it for Dad. You would like it even if you don't really need it, keeps the string centered so you don't have to worry about cocking it straight.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

good to see you raising your kids to hunt BUCK.

its nice to have privateland to hunt, i do also,100 acres BUT i hunt on publiclandas there are memories there hunting .

we have the mentoured youth now here in pa.
many kids around 8 years old got huge bucks this year with regular bow ,we cant use crossbow in WMU2G during archery but can any other time of year.

we found buck this week with a 26 inch spread,6 point, biggest i have ever saw hunting in my life,it was shot with arrow and died.

take care.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on an awesome hunt. I hope when i have kids that i can get them interested in hunting.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:01 PM

awesome!! congrats to that young man and his proud dad!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 PM

HEY I'M TEWELVE AND HAVE KILLED 4. KILLED FIRST BUCK THISN YEAR
Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Love to take kids hunting...my best days are when my boys are with me.