Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CNC Turned MZ Bullet >

CNC Turned MZ Bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CNC Turned MZ Bullet

Old 05-25-2008, 02:23 AM

Default CNC Turned MZ Bullet

Since I work in a machine shop and live in California I decided to try my hand at making some CNC turned solid copper bullets for my new Omega. Yhe goal was to design a bullet in between the Barnes Spitfire and Expander series.

Test gun: T/C Omega
Test load: 2 Pellets Pyrodex 50gr w/ 777 209 primer
Range: 15 yards
Test Media: Water
Est. Velocity: 1700 FPS

Bullet Weight: 285gr
Bullet composition: 99.9% copper
Initial Diameter: .4515"

RD: .855"
RW: 280gr

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/bernieb90/P1000823.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/bernieb90/P1000824.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/bernieb90/Picture003.jpg

Old 05-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CNC Turned MZ Bullet

How many can you secretly manufacture and send to us for testing without getting fired?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

That is an awesome looking bullet !!!!! Good job
Old 05-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work. I'd like to play with one of those.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beautful, the expansion on the last one is exactly like the Barnes X bullet. Lets see what they will do to 100 and 150 as far as accuracy. If they hold up you have a low cost alternative to Barnes.
Chap Gleason
Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is an excellant idea. I would like to know your reasoning behind using that weight. Lee
Old 05-25-2008, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Beautful, the expansion on the last one is exactly like the Barnes X bullet. Lets see what they will do to 100 and 150 as far as accuracy. If they hold up you have a low cost alternative to Barnes.
Chap Gleason
Low cost and machining anything in small quantities are mutually exclusive. It would have been much cheaper to go out and buy some Barnes. I originally made this as a boattail, but after talking to some of the folks here it seems like boattails and standard sabots don't work well together. I wonder is there is way of getting my hands on the yellow MMP sabots used in the TMZ and Spitfire. I may just end up going to a flat base design, but keep the nose profile. This is more of an engineering/fun (I am also a Mechanical Engineer) excersise than anything else. I just wanted to see if I could get it to work. Getting the 6 petal expansion required making a hexagonal punch to score the inside of the HP cavity. The bullets were annealed at 900F for30 minutes. Lee my target weight was in the 270-290gr range. Since I used CAD software to do the design I was able to dial it in fairly close. I figured heavier is better especially at MZ velocities. The bullet is intended for game in the Hog/Deer size range so I wanted large diameter expansion and moderate penetration. A far as getting fired, I work for my dad in his shop so the likeleyhood is high.Thank you all for the positive feedback.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that is really interesting. It would be interesting to see what that will do at distances, and then in some ballistic gel or some other media at long distance. If it is accuracte, you should have a heck of a hunting bullet there.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bernieb90

Low cost and machining anything in small quantities are mutually exclusive. It would have been much cheaper to go out and buy some Barnes. I originally made this as a boattail, but after talking to some of the folks here it seems like boattails and standard sabots don't work well together. I wonder is there is way of getting my hands on the yellow MMP sabots used in the TMZ and Spitfire. I may just end up going to a flat base design, but keep the nose profile. This is more of an engineering/fun (I am also a Mechanical Engineer) excersise than anything else. I just wanted to see if I could get it to work. Getting the 6 petal expansion required making a hexagonal punch to score the inside of the HP cavity. The bullets were annealed at 900F for30 minutes. Lee my target weight was in the 270-290gr range. Since I used CAD software to do the design I was able to dial it in fairly close. I figured heavier is better especially at MZ velocities. The bullet is intended for game in the Hog/Deer size range so I wanted large diameter expansion and moderate penetration. A far as getting fired, I work for my dad in his shop so the likeleyhood is high.Thank you all for the positive feedback.
Agreed, low cost and small quantities are mutually exclusive, however I figured you were buying your own copper rods and cutting them down and machining them on your own time, therefore low cost to you compared to buying Barnes. There are Flat based bullet made by Barnes but sold under another name, they are very expensive, so I have not tied them and also I felt the company might fail, so there would not be a supply down the road a few years. Anyway, great idea to make your own if you have the skill and the machine. They look beautiful, I would NOT put the boat tail on the bullet, everything I have read says that is not good in MLers.
Chap Gleason

PS. Here is the URL of the Flat Based Barnes:

http://maximummuzzleloading.com/bullets.html

Chap
Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How long does it take you to make one, start to finish ??

Quick Reply: CNC Turned MZ Bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.