Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Ladder Stand

Old 10-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ladder Stand

Took my RiversedgeXL 17' into them woods this afternoon. First tree was too big with too many limbs. Second tree is good just has sapling in between tree and my stand. Will go back tomorrow with Bow saw and cut it. Found 5 trails with fresh deer sign. Same area i got a 130 8 pt. 3 years ago. Had to use rope over limb to pull stand up in tree. Too weak and messed up to man handle them anymore.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ladder Stand

I've grown to really like ladder stands in the short while I've been using them, with my wrist messed upfor goodnow I cant climb trees verywell anymore, nor do I have any desire anymore to try...

I had a ladder stand given to me years ago and up until this hunting season its just been sitting behind the garage in the weeds, I really had no interest init mainly because it wasnt portable enough, or IMO then, wasnt concealed enough when put up, it just wasnt my thing...
now after using it and seeing just how convenient(and stealthy)they are I cant believe I havent used one until now

granted they have their good and bad points and even now I wouldnt drag one around too far out of my way(mine was a put up in a secure location with it being "permanently" set therein mind), but I have to say, it sure beats screwing in hundreds of steps and hanging upside down like a monkey trying to hang a clamp on stand in a tree...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yer right they're decent to hunt out of. Just more than i can handle even using a pull rope. Plus heavy and hard to get very far in the woods/brush with. After this year it will be come -along using time. Maybe time to check out some good blinds.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Spike

I had to give up my climber eight years ago due to "extensive bladder cancer". Ten hour surgery , five tubes coming out of my belly for three months. I switched to chain on and screw in steps and ladder stands. The benefitof ladders is ; once installedthey are very quiet to get into and much more secure. The draw back is once installed they are a pain to relocate. This years placement was totally wrong for archery...great for rifle.....I'm facing the wrong direction.....the other problem is that none of my hunting companions are seeing deer.....SW Pa...temp forecast for monday..82 degrees....we lost over 2,000 deer to that bug.

PS..advice..On the bladder cancer...if you pee blood...go to the doctor..NOW...I had my bladder removed and a new one made from part of my intestine...plus I had a proceedure called nerve sparing....I function...but I can't reproduce..hey but I'm 64.....
Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for ya, thanks on tip of what to look for. I have seen couple of chain on's that have safety bar, looks inviting. I am at that age where safety out weighs killing a deer. I may try to find a decent ground blind. One i can roll upnot try fold back with those durn hoop springs!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went with ladder stands 10 years ago,like said, once in place thier a bugger to move,also have two ground blinds now,use them alittle more the the ladders lately..
Old 10-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

This is my 2nd yr hunting out of a stand. Where I hunt there is 7 stands to choose from. Before stands I used a folding dove seat or just sat against a tree..

I also try to carry a warming seat cushion I bought like 10 yrs ago. Too warm outside to use the heat part but is so comfy and plush to sit on.. Now takes twice as long for my butt to fall asleep.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have the 12' buddy stand that i use with my son. he loves to climb the ladder, and feels very comfortable in it. I got it at a clearance price of $50 and would not sell it for any price.as for moveing the ladder stands you need a game hauler of some sort to wheel it around. takeing it down is almost a two man job unless you have some ropeing experience.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM

I have not used a hang on in a long time. I about fell out of one five or so years ago and have not used on since. Been in ladders ever since then. I feel much better in them and can climb better. I have four ground blinds but like being up in the tree. But when in a blind I can sit in comfy chair alot longer then in ladder. Have only ever done all day hunts in blind, ladder is about four or five hours max and I am restless and sore.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have been using one this year. Get tired of using the climber all the time. I think I will get an extension next yewar though. 15 feet isn't cutting it. It would be nice if it was 20.