Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Question for Smokepolehall >

Question for Smokepolehall

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question for Smokepolehall

Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Question for Smokepolehall

Hey Smokepolehall. I have a question for you regarding your Vixen and Phoenix. I'm 55 years old, 6'3, and 180 pounds soaking wet so I'm not as strong as I use to be not that I was ever that strong. I borrowed my son's Exocet 200 to see if I like the Excals and I do very much. However, it is everything I can do to cock that 200 and that is using a cocking rope, too. I can cock it but after about a half hour of doing that I'm pretty pooped. Plus I wouldn't even attempt to decock it with one arm like they show in the video cause I'm afraid it would get away from me and pretty much dry fire. Since you have both a Vixen & Phoenix can you tell me how much difference they are in cocking and decocking? I was leaning towards the Vixen cause I don't know if I really need the hunting range since most of my shots are within 30 yards but I don't want to pass up on a little more "oomph" if the Phoenix handling is not much more than the Vixen. I know each one has to be considerable less than that 200. Thanks in advance. Graveyard Zombie
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for Smokepolehall

Smoke's prolly busier than twins gettin ready to come to my place bear huntin, and since I sold him the Vixen, have a Phoenix and Emax, shot the Ecet some, can answer some of your questions. The Vix is a breeze to cock w/ rope cocker, the Phoenix just a tad harder, but both are alot easier than Ecet/Emax. There's a trick to rope cockers, shorten the rope enough you have to pull the bow string back 3-6" [your choice] to get the second hook on. As for uncocking w/ rope cocker, took me 6 mo's. to work up the nerve to try it on my Emax. You just will not believe how easy it is til you try it, there is no where near the effort involved like there is to cock them. Just make sure all is on right prior to pulling the trigger while pulling upsome on handle. The rope sliding in the groove on back of stock acts like a brake. when I uncock mine, I just leave the rope cocker on the bow, but remember to take it off to check brace height if it's sat awhile.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be honest you, the Phoenix is faster and stouter than the Vixen. They both are much easier than the Exocet 200. I had one and traded down to the Phoenix bacause of shoulder and back troubles. Personally i hunt with the Miss Vixen and and she really shines out to 30 yds. Miss Phoenix is my 3-D shooter. Its easier to uncock with the rope cocker on Vixen, but Phoenix just a tad more, maynot even notice it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 AM

Thanks Awshucks & Smokepolehall. In talking with others and in looking at the Excalibur website it appears the Phoenix would be all I would need for any size game plus it would give me the longer range should I ever need to use it. The Vixen appears to be a tad bit little for some larger game but looks like it may be marginal if I tried it. I just know how hard the 200 is and needed someone's advice on how much difference it would be to drop just25 pounds to the Phoenix. I figured dropping 50 pounds to the Vixen would be noticiable but wasn't sure about the 25 to the Phoenix. I really do appreciate both of y'alls answer in this question. There is no doubt the Excalshave bothquality and simplicity and I plan on sticking with them.

Thanks again.

Graveyard Zombie
Old 10-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Were glad to have helped, awshucks is my running friend. Great guy knows his stuff & can shoot with best of them. Its hard to go wrong with a Phoenix, a very great CB. Hope you enjoy yer investment!